Here comes the 2021 Apple and pear harvest!

Hosui pears are starting to ripen. They could have waited a few more days, but we’re expecting a storm, and I didn’t want to risk them dropping. There are still dozens unripe on the tree. A couple Drippin Honey fell when I lifted them. They are sweet, but can definitely use a couple more weeks.

11 Likes

The Hosuis are just perfect! Really pretty. Let us know how they taste, OK?

1 Like

They are quite delicious. I don’t like the skin texture, so I’ve been pealing them. They are still a tad early, but I like them since they are crispier at this stage. There is a nice sweet, tart, and aromatic balance (like butterscotch pear flavor). They will get juicier, less hard, and more aromatic as they turn more golden brown. A very aromatic pear is Shinsui. I can detect their scent while they are still on the tree.

2 Likes

@PharmerDrewee
Yes hosui skin could be used for sand paper. They do have a butterscotch flavor like chojuro at times that’s very delicious. They do not always have that flavor in Kansas. That would be a good flavor to cross with a European pear.

Such a cross does exist! It’s called Tennosui. @tonyOmahaz5 posted pictures of some on his tree.

2 Likes

The last of my Shinsui pears were harvested today. These later ones are much larger than the earlier ones.

They are the larger ones in the picture. The smaller ones are Hosui.

9 Likes

@PharmerDrewee those are beautiful pears I have not had those. Tenn is a pear I grow is that the same pear as tennosui I thought it is @tonyOmahaz5 ? I may have a couple on the tree I need to check. It bloomed and had fruitlets the last time I looked at it. It seemed we had the discussion before about tennosui.
@coolmantoole do you have an answer by chance on the different pears like tenn? Tennoshui pear

1 Like

@clarkinks Message me sometime for a stick!

1 Like

Clark,
Here is the photo of Tenn pear

Here is the photo of the Tennosui original tree fruits

Tennosui1

Here are my Tennosui fruits

They do looked like the original Tennosui fruits.

7 Likes

Thank you @tonyOmahaz5 I see why these are frequently confused.

1 Like

First year we let our espalier trees fruit! Stayman Winesap on the left, Summer Banana on the right. No spray, but I would probably spray for CAR next year. I found bagging really helped keep them nice.

3 Likes

Yellowjackets ate into my Chestnut crabapples. I picked the few I had and was surprised that their taste was very unique. A keeper for me.

2 Likes

Stan,
I found the Vavilov became over ripe with core breakdown very quickly so I think best to eat crunchy and not try to ripen very long. It seems that most of the early pears are best that way. California is the only really early pear that seems to save fairly well for me. I picked the first week in August and they are still saving in the refer without core breakdown.

1 Like

Here is the Asian pear without tag. What variety can it be? The color is golden bronze. Pear is small to medium size. Very sweet.

4 Likes

This looks like Chojuro. @mamuang @clarkinks @tonyOmahaz5 what do you guys think?

EDIT: We were discussing this in another thread a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

When I last researched, it is among the Hosui, Chojuro and Shinko. Not sure which one. Harvested yesterday.

1 Like

Looks just like my Chojuros. I harvested mine a couple weeks ago in 6B Kansas.

2 Likes

Korean Giant is unusually early this year. Here’s one that had a bird peck at it. It could definitely use another week, but was nice and sweet.

4 Likes

I think the circled two are best and the others a little early like PharmerDrewee suggests:

3 Likes

How do you like Korean Giant compared to the others?

I have Chojuro, Korean Giant, Hosui, and Seuri Li on the same tree.

The 3 Hosui are done and were excellent. Chojuro not quite ready. Seuri Li only one fruit is still rock hard. Should I start checking my Korean Giant? They aren’t giant yet, but set well and look clean.

1 Like