Tennoshui pear

Tennoshui supposed to be a cross between Tennessee pear and Hoshui Asian pear. I am trying to figuring out the right time to harvest this guy. To me it is taste a tad more Euro than Asian pear. White flesh with no grain texture and less brown in color due to oxidation when cut open. A good keeper.

Tony

5 Likes

I cut my Hosui down and replaced it with this for better fireblight resistance. Does it bloom along with other Asian pears? I have a Korean Giant for cross pollination.

Yes, it blooms the same time with other Asian pears. You should be OK with cross pollination.

Tony

1 Like

Tony is that pic the tennoui? It doesn’t look anything at all like the tennosui that I have seen. The tennosuis I have seen look very very similar to hosui. Brown skin and round. Mine fruited once but suprise suprise the squirels beat me to it. But it was a mostly rounded bronze skined fruit.

1 Like

And I should note I have seen pics of the fruit from the original tree also.

You may be right. The multi grafted branch tag may have got mixed up with either Green Jade or Harrow Delight I got the scions from Lucky about 5 yrs ago. I also grafted the Tennoshui scion to another rootstock and it has not produce yet. Just have to wait until next year to compare the fruit to the original Tennoshui photo. Now I have to find out what the pear in photo above is? Anyone growing a Green Jade pear or Harrow Delight?

Tony

1 Like

I have read Tennoshui has a good combination of taste and fireblight resistance. Anyone else growing Tennoshui that can verify if this is true? I have a spot for 1 asian pear and am considering either Tennoshui and Chojuro, but open for other suggestions. Being in the deep south, fireblight resistance is a big concern, thanks, Chris.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Dr. Ethan Natelson developed this variety (president of SFF and Nafex, his email is probably on the nafex site). If you contact him he’d probably tell you all about it and have pics. I’ve heard it is a good one, it’s on my list of pears to try.

1 Like

I can tell you everyone raves about tennosui in Houston. Chojuro has a good rep in the hill country also. They say it develops really good flavor there. I know other places think it is not as good as others but in the hill country apparently it gets really good.

1 Like

The photo above does not look like any Tennosoui photos I’ve ever seen before. Tennosoui has more of an Asian pear look and in fact looks just like its pollen parent. Hosoui. Are you sure you have the right pear? God bless.

Marcus

1 Like

Doesn’t look like the fruits on what I have growing as Tennosui, either. I’m guessing a scionwood mix-up is the case.

I need to look at my oldest…which is still stuck in high stem-density nursery row - for fruit. Oldest free-standing tree was rubbed pretty badly by a buck a year or so back and broke over just below the graft (@4ft) this summer - but it’s lying-still alive- across the neighbor’s rail fence, and I think the deer have eaten most, if not all, of the pears it set this year. I need to stand it up and stake it and pull some understock shoot up and do a few bridge grafts to shore up that weak spot in the callery understock trunk.

1 Like

I just re-grafted the Tennosui to three mature Asian pear tree this Spring. I got the scions from a friend in TN. I label it this time. Hopefully in a year or two, it should produce a good eating hybrid pear.

Tony

1 Like

Looks like my Green Jade. I don’t have any Harrow Delights yet to compare it to.

1 Like

Does Tennosui bloom very early in the season? How long until it starts bearing? I grafted a tree over to what I think is Tennosui. It has not bloomed yet after several years but it does leaf out very early, same time as my plums. It leafs out well ahead of my Asian pear.

1 Like

I think @coolmantoole could best answer that. Like all the southern pears it leafs up quick. Leona, Ayers etc are the same way

Mark,

Do you remember the source of your scionwood? You can ask them about the tree.

Tony

My Tennosui pear has not bloomed yet and is going into it’s third year in the ground in my orchard. Note, it’s seed parent variety, Tennessee, is making its first really significant crop of pears this year, and it’s going into its seventh year. The marketing descriptions say that Tennosui starts to bear young, but those are marketing descriptions. Its sister variety, Southern King, which is the same age, put out one cluster of flowers last year but nun this year. Southern King leafs out way earlier than Tennosui and just generally looks different.

Given that mine has not bloomed yet, I can’t speak to its relative bloom time directly, but Tennosui is one of my later pears to leaf out. But it breaks dormancy with and is supposed to bloom with the later common pears such as Orient, Kiefer and Scarlet. This year mine broke dormancy about a week before Orient. Given when my young Korean Giant and grafts of other Asian pears broke dormancy, I doubt that Tennosui will reliably bloom with them here. The Hosui, the pollen parent, is supposedly a little earlier blooming than the other Asian pears, so their might be overlap with daddy.

Clark recently posted a thread about pear flowering times to which I posted a table showing when all my established pear varieties break dormancy, opened first bloom, began main bloom and ended main bloom. I don’t have a category for “last bloom” because low chill pears tend to bloom a flower here and their all through summer and up until frost.

For what it is worth, I absolutely do not think it’s likely that the photo at the top of this thread is a Tennosui pear given all the descriptions and photos I’ve seen of it. God bless.

Marcus

2 Likes

I can’t remember who I got the scion from, but I did graft it in 2015.

My “Tennosui” leafs out well before my Magness, Orient, Ayers and Moonglow. My Korean Giant blooms about the same time as my brothers ornamental Capital pears and a little after Bradford. My Tennosui would probably bloom several weeks before my KG.

I need a pollinator for whatever I have to graft onto my tree next year. I need suggestions on an early blooming fireblight resistant pear.

1 Like

Mark,
Most of my Asian pears bloom around the same time.

Tony

c5tiger, my Tennoshui on ohf333 blossomed second leaf here in Dallas. Set a few fruit too, haven’t decided yet whether I’ll keep them or not

2 Likes