Tennoshui pear

Bob,

Can you take a close up photos of your your Tennosui bark and leaves. I have 2 grafts of Tennosui from two different sources and the leaves and bark are totally different from each other. I just wanted to compare to yours and see which one is the correct Tennosui and this may help Mark also.
Thanks.

Tony
This first source is from Tennessee.

This second source.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Thanks Bob. I will use your photos as reference when both grafts leafed out in a few weeks.

Tony

It’s a Dave Wilson tree planted spring 2017. 6’ tall, maybe I’ll let it keep 1-2 fruit

2 Likes

Am I one of the sources, can’t remember if I sent you any scion.

Here are some pictures of my tree.
8/26/2016 Tennosui on right, KG on left

2/19/2017 Tennosui pruned back and leafed out. My Byron Gold plum near the blue bucket is just starting to bloom, it is my earliest plum to bloom. KG bloomed 3/28 in 2016

Here is today’s picture

3 Likes

Mark,

The green bark one was your scion from a couple years ago. It had a few flower buds this season. I will post some photos of the fruits from
Both grafts in September.

Tony

1 Like

What pears did it bloom along with, does it start early like mine?

I don’t know what rootstock I have but it does grow vigorously. I don’t fertilize it much and it still grows too fast. A non-dwarfing rootstock may be why it is not blooming.

1 Like

Keep em! Hahaha. No I think it could keel a few no Pl problem. Let me know if you like them.

1 Like

Below is my Tennosui tree. It has not bloomed yet. This is its third growing season in ground. It like most of my pear trees did not grow much last ear on account of loosing it’s spring flush to a late frost. They also had a magnesium deficiency which has been resolved. They are all growing vigorously this year. Mine, like most of my pear trees came from Just Fruits and Exotics in Florida.

2 Likes

I am in Zone 5 and I grafted it on a Cleveland flowering pear under stock clearance from Home Depot a couple years ago. This year will be the first time it had flower buds. Right now We finally had a real Spring weather in the upper 50s and 60s for the next several weeks. All the Asian pears and your Tennosui scion flower buds are in the swell stage so I think is your rootstock that made it bloomed early.

Tony

2 Likes

Mine has not bloomed yet just leafs out early.

I went to a nursery to get a plum and they gave me the Korean Giant and Hosui. I don’t know what rootstock was used but I assume both trees would have the same. The Hosui that bloomed the same time as KG was converted over to Tennosui and now things are badly out of sync, don’t understand it.

I really hope your scion from me fruits this year to give us a better understanding of what we have.

2 Likes

Tennosui’s seed parent, Tennessee is a fairly early blooming early ripening hybrid European type pear. It blooms with Southern Bartlett, so it’s a fairly early bloomer even by European pear standards. My Tennosui has not bloomed yet, but sends out new growth late by European low chill European pear standards but way before Korean Giant does. I don’t think it will be a reliable pollinizer for Korean Giant.

2 Likes

Hey does anyone have pictures of Tennosui? Mine is fruiting now and I think its right as its a round pear looking sort-of-asian but I’m not sure. I will try to take some pictures of mine at some point here. @tonyOmahaz5 I think the scions came from you.

2 Likes

Scott, I got the Scion from Lucky P. It turned out to be a round reddish pear. I am not sure what it is. I can send you the real Tennosui scion Next Spring if you still want it.

Tony

Did the scion you got from me set fruit this year?

Mark,

The flowers of your Scion did not set any fruits. In addition, the leaves were not looking like Asian pear leaves at all. Hopefully next year it will set some fruits so I can take some photos and post them here.

Your Scion Leaves

Tennosui from the original tree leaves

Tony

2 Likes

I think I am going to pull up my tree and replace it next winter. Bay Laurel sells them on dwarfing OHxF333, most other nurseries don’t but I don’t like their bell shaped description of the fruit. My understanding is the fruit should be round.

Tennosui Asian Pear - Semi-dwarf

Thought to be a cross between Tennessee pear and Hosui. Bell shaped. Fruit remains crisp after being cut and is slow to oxidize. Shows resistance to fireblight. Ripens early to mid August. 400 hours. Self-fruitful. Available on OHxF333.

This shows a round fruit
The Origin of the Tennosui Pear
It is almost as if Bay Laurel (Dave Wilson) is describing its brother Southern King.

1 Like

Do you have room to plant the new tree next to it so you can keep that one until it produce and compare before you pull it.

I don’t have room but I will try to graft what I have to a wild Bradford.

1 Like

1st & only Tennoshui. From Raintree. Tastes great! similar but better than Korean Giant.

9 Likes