Tennoshui pear

Hmm. Wondering if mine is mis-identified, or if the mix-up occurred at Tony’s…and I don’t recall who originally sent it to me… got some pear scionwood from (the late?) Sam Powers, years ago, but I don’t think it was one of them.
I’m still waiting for fruit… my oldest Tennosui was destroyed by a buck in rut and I’ve had to re-start… no fruit yet… and almost no pears at all in our orchard this year.
Looks like I may have to hit some of y’all up for ‘real’ Tennosui scionwood next spring, just to make sure I’ve got the real deal!

1 Like

Anytime! Just say the word

1 Like

Just to confuse things…

The Panzarella Citrus website, and John should know, has pictures which match my picture.

But Dave Wilson, who supplied my tree, describe it on their website as bell shaped. No picture on their website. Mine is round, like a large Housui.

??

2 Likes

I am going to replace my tree but did not want a DWN tree because of that description but your fruit makes me feel better about going that route.

1 Like

its quite large fruit and i didnt see any cedar rust on it compared to other asian pears!

6 Likes

@Seattlefigs

Thanks for posting that close up that’s exactly what I saw posted before.

My tennoshui has set fruits for this year. my tree is very healthy and vigorous, however it doesn’t seem as productive as other varieties that im growing. can everyone tell me how productive their fruiting tennoshui is compared to their other pear trees? pictures help too!

1 Like

I need some advice on cross-pollination for Tennosui, please. I’m a beginner gardener in Maryland zone 7a (b?), and I’m gearing up to put one in the ground in a few weeks.

When does Tennosui typically bloom for you, and what other Asian pears might be good pollinators for it? I’m particularly interested in knowing if Chojuro might be a good partner. Thanks!

1 Like

@coolmantoole might be able to answer this for you, in 2021 he had his first flowers on this variety, and I’d imagine that he had one or two more blooms since then

Its super late blooming for European type, but not late enough to get good overlap with Asian type. Scarlet bloomed with it bot got taken out by fireblight. My Savannah blooms with it, but it not really commercially available. Almost zero overlap with other late blooming types like LeConte and Goldenboy. It kind of blooms in that noman’s land period when the European types are finished and the Asian types haven’t started.

2 Likes

When you say ‘Scarlet’, do you mean the variety ‘Scarlet Soft’ that ‘Just Fruits and Exotics’ sells?

By searching for ‘Savannah pear’ I found you mentioning that pear on facebook, and you posted this “It straddles bloom time with Tennousui and Korean Giant, so it is a very, very late blooming pear for a European type.” So ‘Tennoshui’ matches with the bloom time of ‘Korean Giant’?

My Korean Giant and my Savannah Pear are still very immature and haven’t bloomed much yet. But so far while there has been overlap between Savannah pear and Korean Giant, there hasn’t been overlap between Tennosui and Korean Giant.

1 Like

I thought that it did not make sense that it would match Korean Giant’s blooming time. Okay so to me it sounds like ‘Tennoshui’ pear, like Scarlet (Scarlet Soft?), and like ‘Savannah’ are all in ‘flowering group number 6 (Pollination group F)’, which it’s very hard to find pear varieties that match that bloom time.

Other varieties that match that bloom time are ‘Double de Guerre’, ‘Hacon’s Incomparable’, ‘Highland’, and ‘Pero Nobile’. Highland is easy to find in the USA. Hacon’s Incomparable might be available in the USA through Pear - Hacon's Incomparable - tasting notes, identification, reviews since they have many locations in the USA. @afrocraft

1 Like

Thanks. Where can I find these flowering groups, please? A search on Google found this, which seems to have pretty liberal pollination matches:

Most pollination lists does not show ‘flowering group number 6 (Pollination group F)’, since most people do not grow much if any pears that fall in that group, look through the following list for varieties listed as Group F Pollination partners for Highland

https://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/searchpolpartner.aspx?id=HIGHLA

1 Like

Look at the chart you posted. You see that pears cross pollinate with any other pears. Fruiting pears even cross pollinate with flowering pear like a Bradford pear.

From my observation (and others), the colder zone you are, the more overlapping bloom time of most pears becomes. Those who grow pears in zone 8 or 9 may experience that some pears’ bloom time does not overlap.

In my zone 6, most pears, Euro and Asian, have overlapping bloom time. At one point, I had about 20 varieties of Euro pears and over 10 varieties of Asian pears. The only variety that blooms rather late is Abbe Fetel. Still, there are other varieties that still keep their blooms on to allow cross pollination when AF’s blossoms finally open.

You are in zone 7, the chance that most pear varieties you pick would overlap your Tennoshui is high, IMO.

4 Likes

And odd weather can effect blooming time, like summer coming very early, or spring coming early, that can cause most varieties to bloom at the same time. Add to that since ‘Tennoshui’ is new to the collections of everyone who has it, the possible mistaggings have not yet been figured out.

Correct. Anything I say about bloom-time should take into consideration that I’m in hardiness zone 9A, and in many winters I barely get the minimum chilling requirement of many varieties. Some varieties may well behave quite differently in a cooler climate than in mine. For example an early blooming variety may end up being late blooming in my climate if it takes a few extra weeks for it to get its chilling requirement in. And some strains swing back and forth in terms of relative bloom time in comparison to other varieties depending on how many chilling hours we get. This is especially true with my plums. Last year Sonny’s Yellow bloomed with the early blooming Chickasaw plum strains. This year it’s going to bloom with the later blooming ones. I think that the difference is that everybody has a lot more chilling hours banked away this spring.

3 Likes