Here comes the 2021 Apple and pear harvest!

Thanks Clark. Iwas going to ask you how long they can be kept. After I was off the phone,I know they will all be gone soon because my family and fiends love the flavor of dripping honey. I even don’t have enough to give a few to each of them.

These are bagged pears almonst no bug bites. This year, squirrels and raccoons seem have not bothered my pears yet( Squirrels were biting on my peaches.) So the pests pressure is lower. I still have Korean giant on the tree and Jilin on the tree. Korean giant is ready , but I will let it hang on the tree for another week. It looks like jilin will finish the last.

1 Like

Korean Giant is targeted at my property worse than anything else. The tan colored fruits often get rot or are damaged by insects though I’m unsure why. I’ve stored drppin’ honey easily until February that’s one of my favorite things about them. In March the skin wrinkles but the drippin’ honey are still edible. See this thread Drippin' Honey Asian Pear this is what they look like in February after having been harvested in August.

Historically I’ve stored them in a humidity controlled crisper. The photo below was November that year. Again as we look at the past we can see the value of long storage pears.

4 Likes

@IL847 - Me too, Annie. If you have any Drippin’ Honey scions - I’d love to trade. I am keeping a reminder list . . . and if I can remember to use it (!) I will ask again in January!

2 Likes

Sure, gladly to trade. We can remind each other in Jan.

This is last batch of dripping honey I picked this year. I UPS couple of boxes of dripping honey and Yoinash to TX a week ago to my daughter. She likes the dripping honey. Yoinash is too juicy and thin skinned , most of them were cracked and bruised by the time the package got there.

2 Likes

Clark, I have a question for you. When the dripping honey were picked, the temperature was still high, did you store then in the basement or refrigerator? You said you store them in humidity controlled crisper, around what temperature this scrisper has inside? I can wrap them in newspaper and store them in a cool place in winter time . My basement in general around mid 40 in winter. But I can’t find a cool enough place to store them from now to temperature drop enough. Does humidity play a bigger role than the temperature in terms of longer storage life of pears?

1 Like

@IL847

Great question about fruit storage and fortunately I posted about it a few years ago.

1 Like

While it was a pretty light fruit set this year, the pears from our Luscious have been exceptional.
The flavour is deep and fragrant and they are juicy and mostly melting.
I can only guess that it is now old enough to be putting out its mature style fruit. ( most are a good size too)
They are so much better than any commercial ones we’ve had.
One of my fathers fave desserts is a pear/cream cheese tart and even he said that he’d rather just eat these Luscious cold than bake them!
If I had the room, I’d be tempted to add a second one.

2 Likes

From upper left and downwords:
Peggy, Korean Giant, Atago, Shin Li
Shinko, Niitaka, Mishirasu, Drippin Honey, Raja.
And euro pears: Patten and Honey Sweet
All asian pears from one quince tree.

13 Likes

Size difference between Korean Giant depending on rootstock (left: quince and on the right: normal pear rootstock)

6 Likes

Great variety, congratulations! Please can you rate them, from best to worst? Thank’s! :+1:

1 Like

So far peggy is last. I must still try Mishirasu, Shin Li, but they are not ripe enough. So far best tasting is Shinko, Raja, Drippin Honey and Atago, but I can’t decide which of these is the best. All 4 have their unique taste.

4 Likes

Thank you very much! And Niitaka?

2 Likes

Niitaka is slightly less sweet than the 4, but better than Korean Giant.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, that’s a great help! :blush: :+1:

2 Likes

It can all change once KG ripens up. But Atago and Niitaka are also not 100% ripe yet

2 Likes

Your Honey Sweet does not appear to match Cummins’ description.
Your has not russetting at all.

Your pear looks like a green D’Anjou pear.

1 Like

You do have a strong argument here. Indeed most photos show russeting. I am 100% sure I got it as ‘Honeysweet’. It also ripens early September, and mine is still not fully ripe and still hanging well. I’m kinda disappointed now, but thanks for your remark.

2 Likes

The sum total of my apple harvest this year…

On April 3rd the temp dropped to 22F. Apples as well as cherry/plum/peach were either in full bloom or had some fruit starting. It all turned black and fell off, or so I thought. A few months later I noticed this Virginia Beauty apple about 10’ up in a tree. It’s small, and lopsided, but it is a harvest! :wink:

Luckily we were flush with strawberries/raspberries/blackberries/blueberries this year. Since tree fruit was limited to this one lone apple… Ah well, there’s always next year.

5 Likes

We had the same thing here happen last year. Right at the peak of blooming we had a huge temp drop into the 20’s. Peaches and apples were in full bloom. I have 30 apple trees and I had only about a dozen apples. Most were all gnarled and very small. This year I had a great harvest year. However, we did have a period of very cold weather, then it got hot, then got cold again. Some of my fruit was a lot smaller than normal. All my peaches were about 20-25% their normal size. Some of my apples were a lot smaller as well. Yet other apples on the trees were their normal size.

2 Likes

:cry: :laughing: wendel - i dont know whether to laugh or cry. Poor lonely little apple. So sorry for your bad apple year. :weary:

2 Likes