Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

I want a sucker off that tree!!! I’m jealous!

Katy

2 Likes

That may be a real possibility sometime in the future Katy and would be happy to oblige.

2 Likes

That’s not right…

1 Like

Sherwood is supposed to be hard to get to fruit but one of the ones with better taste. Very interesting if that turns out good!!

Katy

1 Like

The sugar cane was dead in the first 4 months

Check out the jujube water discussion on this thread.

Katy

1 Like

That’s really strange. Where did they come from?

Katy

Edible Landscaping 1 Season Limited Guarantee (90 days)

I now have flowers for the second time this year on my 1 year jujus. Is this normal?

1 Like

it is normal if your jujus are very happy. Older jujus will even have three or more bloom periods, especially in the southwest. Both old wood and green wood will bear fruits later in the year. Which means will have fruits in different stages of maturity, so will have harvests over a long period. Quite unusual, and of course-- quite desirable :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Katy,

Are any of your HJ seedlings making any fruits this year?

Tony

1 Like

I have a good load of Chico and a fair amount of Honey Jar. My Li is disappointing with probably ~ 20 fruit. Lang has about 3 fruit after dropping a LOT. Contorted has a few. One of my new trees this year that is about 3 foot high, Xu Thou, is loaded for its size and still blooming. Jin Chang, another small tree has 3 large fruit and my Autumn Beauty—a sprig of a tree —has had a half dozen of which 4 have been eaten!! (And were very good). We’ve had a very dry year. I had trees blooming last July so I’m hoping to get a second fruit set.

1 Like

I just now noticed that you said Honey Jar seedlings… hahahaha. I have some blooming. I had one with a fruit but it just dropped. I have an u known seedling (one that was an edible fruit) that has several fruit that have set. I have rootstock seedlings with fruit.

Katy

1 Like

I was hoping that your HJ seedling hold on to the fruit to see if it is a keeper and to be a brand variety. Maybe next year.

Tony

1 Like

Maybe but then maybe in August this year???..

1 Like

My jujubes have been flowering for almost a month and I just noticed the first tiny fruitlets. So far, most are on So and Honey Jar (the HJ which is a graft on So…I didn’t notice any on one whole-tree HJ, but will check again as I have several). There were also a few fruitlets on Sugar Cane and at least one on a Tae Sang Wang graft from last year.

I’m watering frequently (every 1-3 days), trying to size up my So seedlings. I’ve got a couple which are over a year old and 3-4 more from this past winter. Though my older ones are probably smaller than Katy’s new seedlings…

1 Like

forgot to add, jujus aren’t just capable of bearing fruits in different stages from subsequent new growth on fruiting spurs, but also quite able developing both fruits and flowers on the same deciduous stems(herbaceous fruiting stems). Took some pix of cultivars doing just that, from top to bottom: contorted, winter d, sihong, massandra.

7 Likes

Raf,

I see that the Vegas heat burned some of your jujube leaves.

have been out most of the time the past couple months, so the potted jujus tend to suffer from my spartan treatment , as i tend to water them by hand and in a hurry so sometimes not enough. They amazingly bounced back with new growth and amazingly didn’t have significant fruit-drop and even produced additional flowers on new growth. During periods of drought, jujus seem to prefer shedding their foliage first before they shed their fruits.

1 Like

The older ones. One in-ground and the other in a pot next to it.

The new ones from this past winter.

A zoomed in pic of So, with 2 little acorn-shaped fruit:

6 Likes