Honeyberries from seeds?

Honeyberries from seed…this was mentioned a few years ago in this thread and @BlueBerry tried to follow up with @AnnonceaeLover but they didn’t respond.

Has anyone been successful at starting honeyberries from seed. I am planning to try to do some specific cross pollinating this spring and am looking for some tips to start the seeds. Can’t seem to find any information about the process.

4 Likes

I unsuccessfully tried to germinate 10 seeds last year with a damp paper towel in a takeout container on a heating pad. They got moldy after about a month with no germination.

These were purchased online and I have no idea how fresh the seeds were. At the time I assumed the problem was old seeds, but I’ll follow along with answers here to learn if the problem was my method. I did not cold-stratify them first, so that could also have been the issue?

I ended up buying two plants from the same nursery later in the year instead, and those are currently flowering.

2 Likes

I’ve grown them from seed. I sow them fresh in summer after the harvest, and grew them in flats for the first year, they grow a set a of leaves and basically stop. Tough though, they survived the winter here in z4b Maine no problem. Then I prick out the plantlets the next spring and pot them up.

6 Likes

Thanks for your reply, @JesseinMaine . How did you prepare the seeds?

2 Likes

I mashed up the fruit added water, stirrdd and poured off the the water/pulp a few times til I was left with seeds at the bottom of the container. Then sowed immediately very shallowly in a tray

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the tips! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very cool! Have you gotten fruit off any of your seedlings yet?

1 Like

A few, I haven’t netted that row yet but will this year-they are loaded with bloom

2 Likes

That’s great! I look forward to hearing about what shakes out from your breeding efforts.

2 Likes

Did you start your seedlings inside or outside?

Started outside just after fruit was harvested

1 Like

Thanks… do you happen to have any photos of the seedlings when they were just starting to appear after starting them or any photos at all of your set up?

They don’t look like much, tiny wee seedlings for the first season that grow a cotydons and sit there…I start them in flats then prick out and pot up the following year

1 Like

What’s the location that you have them in? Shade, part sun, full sun? Low to the ground, high up off the ground? In a hoop house or just out in the open? How often were you watering them? Thanks so much for all of this info, btw.

Part sun when they are small, in flats on benches in a somewhat sheltered spot watered to keep from drying out

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips, I’ll see if I can duplicate what you have done next month when I start to get ripe berries.

1 Like

Did you get any good results planting seeds, Tia?

(I finally did get a couple hard cuttings to root a bit…not sure they’ll get through to spring or not though).

1 Like

Apologies for my late reply, I have been super busy and MIA. My project was ruined when my someone didn’t realize that I had seeds growing in the pots and they emptied them. It was really disappointing. I am hoping to try it again this summer.

1 Like

Very sorry for all that…have had some of those moments in life, but nobody but me to blame anymore. Try to stay optimistic.
I had no crop due to lack of pollinators/cold at bloom time…so any thoughts I had of planting some seeds from my plants got put on hold.
To a better 2024.
BB

1 Like