HoneyberryUSA substitution offer

Hi all. I am in search of some advice. I just received the following email from Bernis @ HoneyberryUSA. I ordered a pair of meader bush cherries last fall and they were back ordered:

"My apologies at this late notice - I was told not that long ago that the cherries would be shipping to us but I went to the top and today found out our supplier had a no-grow year and is removing them from their catalogue. I have not found another wholesale supplier (a lot of retail nurseries get from the same propagator!)

Soā€¦ I can offer a new Dā€™Artagnon, Valentine, or Cupid cherry for a substitute as weā€™re getting down early November from Canada for the first time (presently not posted until we get them in hand, but I have received confirmation on our order)

or

a refund.

The U of S cherries are much taller but much better tasting than the Meader series which is lovely for its small size of about 3ā€™ tall and late ripening but not nearly the edible quality of the U of S cherries.

Please advise as to your wishes."

This post is by no means trying to complain or slander the nursery, in fact the exact opposite, I think this is superior customer service and I am very pleased to be offered the option of these newer U Sask. releases.

So my question to the group, which would you select? Dā€™Artagnon, Valentine, or Cupid? Any input is much appreciated :+1:

5 Likes

its really out of their control. at least shes offering a replacement or refund. ive bought 4 types of cherries from them. 3 romance series and a lutowka rose polish cherry. all have grown well. had one bad order during covid but they made it right by doubling my replacement order. i have romeo , juliet and carmine jewel. juliet is the best tasting. id jump on one of those offerings as not easily available yet in the U.S. you can prune them down to a more manageable size if you want and they will likely still out produce the 2 small meader cherries. not sure which one to pick? maybe someone else will chime in with more excpeience.

2 Likes

Which of the 3 would you choose? Know anything about those particular varieties?

1 Like

try googling it. ive read some on them but nothing comparing them.

2 Likes

well Dā€™Artagnon is a dwarf like you wanted. cupid has bigger cherries but on a 10ā€™ + bush and valentine is in between. up to you.

3 Likes

@Everett

Can you get carmine jewell or juliet? Here is a great write up Tarts with a touch of romance | Good Fruit Grower .Here is some information on Dā€™Artagnan, cupid and Valentine. Canadian Food Inspection Agency - Cupid
dartagnan-cherry.pdf (338.6 KB)
valentine-cherry.pdf (653.5 KB)
images.jpeg

https://research-groups.usask.ca/fruit/Fruit%20crops/sour-cherries.php

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the new one!! Get that one!

@TheDerek looks like one of the musketeers is finally coming to the US.

4 Likes

@steveb4 @clarkinks @Moose

Thank you all for the input. I was already leaning Dā€™Artagnon, so I think I will indeed go that route. I already have Romeo, Juliet and carmine jewel, this should be an exciting addition.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve also got a couple backordered Meader cherries from Honeyberry USA, and I got a very similar email from Bernis. Iā€™ll probably end up ordering all 3 of the newly available cherries, in a ā€œcomplete the collectionā€ sort of way.

But if you are still interested in the Meaders, I thought Iā€™d mention that Indiana Berry list them. They are currently showing ā€œOut of Stockā€, but thatā€™s normal for them this time of year. Iā€™ll be checking them again in December, and you might want to do the same. Iā€™ve had good luck with other things ordered from them in the past.

1 Like