Hood Pear

@SoCalGardenNut
I expect the Green Thumb nursery in your area to have inventory, both 5 & 12 gallon.

3 Likes

Thanks @Richard, when I went down there for the first time in March, and they did have a lot of fruit trees.

2 Likes

Very beautifull tree and fruit! Congratulations! :+1:

2 Likes

1st of the season!

10 Likes

Fall in motion

5 Likes

I ordered one, it’s coming in Jan. Do the leaves fall off eventually. The reason I ask is some of my low chill apple trees stay the same over winter.

2 Likes

pruned, no partridge :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Today.

2 Likes

@Richard

Do the pears always ripen in July in California? Those blossoms will be open in 2-3 weeks.

1 Like

Or sooner!

But this is just the first round of blossoms that occurs during January when we get warmer (60°F’s) daytime temperatures for the better part of a week. We’ll have more blooms later in a few months. The fruits will all ripen within a month of each other after the summer solstice.

3 Likes

@Richard

How is hoods fruit doing this year? Was curious how the January blossoms turned out?

1 Like

About the same as last year :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

@Richard

Looking good!

2 Likes

@clarkinks
There are 2 or more leaves in the upper third of the 3rd photo with brown margins. This is due to a blast of heat we had several weeks ago.

Elsewhere on the tree there are about the same percentage of leaves with black margins of about the same length and size. These are fireblight symptoms that I see every year that do not progress. This year there is a bit more of it than years past, possibly due to the extended season of marine layer, foggy nights, and drizzle here.

4 Likes

While I’m watching paint dry, I mean watermelons very slowly ripen, I had to revisit an order I placed for next spring.

Hood Pear.

I only have Asian pears at the moment, so I’ll be relying on whatever self - fruitfulness Hood has to produce fruit.

I do however have 4 OxHF 87 rootstocks growing from this spring I can graft to.

I am thinking of an espalier with some Asian varieties like hosui and KG, which I will have my own scionwood for from my young trees.

So I’m thinking of another non-Asian variety besides the Hood. If I can find Monterrey I may try that.

It any other FB resistant, low chill type anyone recommends and is worth growing door eating.

Orient?
Pineapple?

1 Like

@Shibumi
I suspect that chilling hours do not apply to Pears since they do not apply to domestic apples. Climate is still a consideration in your location though in terms of humidity and precipitation.

2 Likes

To make things even more confusing!

Just peeked at the state Ag publication and they also recommend Baldwin for me… Which pollinates Hood.

Since I ordered hood I’ll look for some Baldwin scion for the spring.

2 Likes

I have a tiny Hood pear out there, I had no pears nearby to pollinated, I mean no flowers, so I wouldn’t worry.

2 Likes

I was looking again at different descriptions of Hood.

Pyrus Communis is a European pear from what I read, but several sites are listing it as an Asian pear. One has Shinko asian pear as a pollinator (bloom time-wise I know).

Most list Baldwin, Flordahome or Pineapple as pollinators for Hood.

Good is arguably partially self-fertile (some advertise this and sown don’t), but I am thinking of adding something else. So far I haven’t seen a site selling any of these three scions (Baldwin, Flordahome, or Pineapple). Local big box stores do sell Flordahome and Pineapple in the spring though.

I looked to see if I could find Hood in a bloom time chart with other pears to see if I have a larger selection but couldn’t find one.

Would be nice to add another variety, hopefully with a different taste and harvest time, than just the Hood.

2 Likes