Hood Pear

Richard , your place is beautiful

1 Like

I donā€™t think they overlap, here, either, but my Ayers still hasnā€™t had many flowers yet. That tree grows a lot. Moonglow works for Ayers, and I have have a few scions of it if you want to try grafting.

1 Like

thx for the offer but i would not want to waste them. i have zero experience grafting and need to learn about that first, Appreciate the offer though. I have a Potomac coming soon (whenever it ships). I will try a graft on it.

3 Likes

Pear rosettes :smile:

5 Likes

Batch #2

Hood%20Pear%20rosettes

7 Likes

Richard, the Rosetta looked so delicious. Does the pear taste good too?

1 Like

We love the taste of Hood pear.

3 Likes

Im thinking about doing a hood and flordahome pear here in coastal SoCal. Those pears in these pictures look yummy.

1 Like

In my experience Flordahome is fireblight prone in our environment but Hood is very resistant.

1 Like

Do you know where in SoCal I maybe be able to get a hood pear?

1 Like

Theyā€™re available bareroot from late Dec. into Feb. at real nurseries (rarely garden departments). For example, Green Thumb Nursery.

BTW they are self fruitful in our climate. Allow 3-5 years after planting to receive regular crops.

1 Like

The tree didnā€™t need much in the way of pruning this year. I shortened the main whips to 7 foot from the ground and removed a few improper side branches.

5 Likes

Richard, how does the taste of Hood compare to Kieffer? Iā€™m assuming Hood is better, but the only other pear I have experience with that has a lot of Asian pear in its heritage is Kieffer. I got my first Kieffer crop from grafts last fall and was pretty disappointed in both taste and texture. My Hood grafts have still not fruited, but unless Hood is significantly tastier than Kieffer, I may give up on them. Also, that looks like a very happy, healthy pear tree!

2 Likes

Hood and Keiffer fruits are similar in shape and thatā€™s about it. I wouldnā€™t recommend Keiffer to anyone.

Hood takes 4-5 years in the ground from bareroot to start producing regular crops. How long has yours been planted?

2 Likes

Okay, thatā€™s a relief, sounds like Keiffer is not even in the same league as Hood. The Keiffer grafts will be replaced, but Iā€™ll hold off on the Hood. I have Hood grafted onto a root sucker of my big Winter Nelis tree, and I probably grafted it about four years ago. I have not let it get very big. (My original thinking was that the Nelis was in decline and that Iā€™d have the replacements growing from the suckers, but the big tree is still going strong, so now I just have some mini-trees around it. Not ideal, I realize.) It set two fruits this last year so Iā€™d hoped to get a taste, but since itā€™s low to the ground, some critters got the fruit. Sounds like it might be old enough for a better crop next year though!

2 Likes

13 Likes

I ordered a Hood Pear for here in zone 7a (south of Nashville). Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

7 Likes

@Richard

Looking good the fruit is perfect!

2 Likes

Iā€™m going to add Hood pear, but I will go to local nursery to buy them. I donā€™t want to pay for shipping charge.

2 Likes