Hood Pear

Yesterday I planted this DWN Hood Pear on OHXF333 rootstock. I purchased it last summer in a 5 gallon pot. Previously I had a one at my home in Rancho Penasquitos for a dozen years. It produces Bartlett-like pears and has some fireblight tolerance against the extremely high disease pressure in our region.

6 Likes

Here in the hot, humid south an old tree here never gets any FB (there’s always a first time), but it sure does get leaf spot every year. The sweet fruit are enjoyable from this very low chill variety. A winner.

3 Likes

The tree is about 6.5 ft high now. Here is the one fruit I let mature on it this year.

4 Likes

Richard which tree did you get for your pollinator? Flordahome (The DWN suggested one)? Or is that a parthenocarpic hood pear? I picked up one from HD (root unknown) and another from DWN on OHXF333.

1 Like

None. In my experience it is self-fruitful.

2 Likes

OK, that’s good to hear. When researching Hood, I found it was characterized by many as partially self-fruitful. Some sources indicated parthenocarpic fruit formed. DWN says pollenizer required (another scheme to make you buy 2 trees instead of one?). Are there seeds in your fruit? Did/do you have any Asian pears or parkway Callery pear trees that could serve as pollinators? I guess, if I lose the Flordahome I won’t bother replacing it.

1 Like

At my previous home, Hood bore heavy crops and I wasn’t aware of any other fruiting pears in the neighborhood. There were always seeds in the fruit. After it was in the ground about 5 years I added Hood pear trees to my nursery stock and began testing Flordahome in 15 gallon pots. Compared to the Hood in my climate I found the taste poor and very susceptible to Fireblight.

At my present home I seriously doubt there are any fruiting pears nearby. I’m not sure if there are seeds in the fruit I picked today but I’ll post after cutting it open. :smiley:

1 Like

That’s interesting about the FB in Flordahome – U of Florida lists Flordahome as having FB resistance. I believe Flordahome has both Hood and Tenn in it’s parentage (Both FB resistant), so I’d think it would have inherited some resistance genes. Andrews CP & Sherman WB (1979) Proc. Fla. State. Hort. Soc. 92:266-267 — indicates moderate resistance for Flordahome (tested as Fla. 41-116). What makes San Diego worse than Florida for FB?

1 Like

The climate plus mass urban plantings of flowering pear, and pyracantha to a lesser degree.

@gsims1997: seeded.

1 Like

Today I pruned my young tree from 6.5’ to 4’.

4 Likes

Richard,
I imagine that after all that rain your hood pear is growing like a weed. Any new pictures?

It’s been dormant for perhaps a month. Bud break is just starting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

All leafed out now!

3 Likes

Looks great Richard!

2 Likes

Going to graft hood this weekend I hope on callery. Perhaps it will do as well in Kansas as California.

1 Like

Nice tree @Richard. I like the way you brought the top down. I don’t have one personally, but Hood is a popular variety down here. I’ve seen them available at a few of the nurseries…Not encouraged by your comments on the Flordahome, recently planted one and it seems to be doing well…maybe it’s a regional thing and I’ll have better results in my area. Here’s hoping.

1 Like

@jeremymillrood 2nd year with Flordahome. No fireblight. In similar clime as Richard. However there are few ornamental pears in my neighboorhood.

1 Like

Have historically had problems grafting hood to some callery pears. Just to follow up I wanted to let everyone know the latest wild callery rootstocks and callery rootstocks I purchased from Willamette Nursery have had no problem with hood grafts. The original callery I used were not compatible with hood.

2 Likes

Thanks @clarkinks, very good info for the community. Also I’d like to note that while touring my yard with @JCT on Sunday we could only find one leaf tip on my Hood Pear with FB “burn” and the rest of the tree was clean. There’s easily 2-3 dozen ornamental pears within 1/4 mile of my property.

3 Likes