Monterrey Pear

I’ve been looking for some other low chill pear varieties. I already have a few young Asian pears/multi graft. I don’t think European pears do well in the heat and humidity of the gulf coast area zone 9a.

Ran across the Monterrey Pear. Very low chill, self-fruitful. Questionable heritage. Some say it’s got some Asian pear in it. The description of the fruit had a lot of Asian pear qualities. No idea on bloom group. Also no idea on fire blight resistance.

Does anyone have any experience with the Monterrey?

Try Hood.

2 Likes

@Richard

So these are the pear (Europe or hybrid - excluding pure Asian pears)

Kieffer
Hood - highly fire blight resistant
Le Conte - fire blight resistant
Orient - fire blight resistant
Pineapple - fire blight resistant

I did find one spite that said Hood was not fire blight resistant.

They all appear to be able to pollinate each other… Or many paired combinations do.

I have a few OxHF87 rootstocks growing so hopefully I can find some scions this winter from folks on the forum.

I have only grown 2 of the varieties on Richard’s list. Orient and pineapple. No blight problems with orient but not a top tasting pear. Only kept it for its great pollination. Pineapple bit the dust before fruiting. Not blight resistant in SW Louisiana. I gardened in SE Texas and SW LA for many years. All my pear varieties are typical southern blight resistant. The best tasting blight resistant varieties I currently grow are Ayers and Spalding. Both very sweet and trouble free.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at Ayers and Spalding. Do they bloom together?

I only am growing asian pears at the moment

Laughing.

Was looking at sites for Ayers pear.

Different sites
150 hrs
300-400 hrs.
400 hrs
600 hrs.
950 hrs
300 hrs
350 hrs.

It’s no wonder sites like this need to exist.

Both ayers and spalding are self pollinating

1 Like