Horseradish root

anyone here grow horseradish? I’m looking for a few root pieces to start a patch. could trade elderberry, black currant, red raspberry, aronia, or dewberry cuttings for them. thanks.

I do :grinning: Send me PM.

3 Likes

Me too. I’ll dig some up for you if you want.

2 Likes

thanks Jeff but Galinas is sending me some.

2 Likes

Cool. Good luck ole’ boy. Mine seems indestructible. I’ll get some root this year and make some horseradish and some horsey sauce. I’ll let you guys know how it goes…

2 Likes

actually my son asked me to grow some. when he lived at his uncles house in s. maine when he was younger i guess he ate everything with horseradish sauce and got a taste for it back then. supposedly good for my asthma so i guess I’m all about it! heard it can be a weed if not controlled.

1 Like

My greens on mine die off twice a year. They just came back up again and will live through the first few frosts before dying off again until the first rain in February or so. I’ll get some root in the next few weeks. I love horseradish in the right amount.

1 Like

heard it can be a weed if not controlled.<<

It’s known for that. I had it once decades ago and decided to take it out (one plant) and dug down at least three feet before I got all the root out. I’d heard about its reputation and didn’t want to take a chance!

2 Likes

I can tell you a story about that :grin:. After I spend too much time killing it in low portion of my garden(it was woods before, so I planted it there, but later I cleared it up), I decided to grow it in a pot.I have a steep hill made of huge boulders.One of the boulder has flat surface. There I put the pot. Spaces between the boulders are not bigger than 1.5’X1.5’ and all of them were filled with vinca ground cover that also run on the rocks. So horseradish did purely in the pot - leaves were small and sickish. In fall I decided to move the pot to flat portion of the yard, to take the horseradish out. But I couldn’t move the pot. Apparently, horseradish grew a root through pot hole. The root traveled 2 feet under vinca on top of the rock to the nearest soil spot and grew in. It is growing there ever since. At least 6 years. Good thing - it is very well contained there. Since that time I tried many solutions for horseradish production, but none were that successful as the one on the rock. I mostly need it for leaves for canning, so I am good with small patch. But last year I dug it up, just to prevent overcrowding. It grew right back!

4 Likes

“( can be a weed if not controlled )”
Mine has been in the same spot for " many " years.
Has not moved / spread. It stays put. It’s off by itself in a perennial bed.
But any little piece of root will grow.
I got my start from a farm, where they had rototilled a horse radish patch ( chopped up the roots ) and moved soil with tractor equipment ,it was everywhere.
I think if you don’t spread the roots around, it will stay put.
Just put it in a area by itself,where you won’t be rototilling ,or moving dirt
Also I had a few plants in a area that became a hay feeding area for my horses. A small fenced in area. The only thing green in there was the horse radish.they would not eat it.
I think that maybe how it got its name?

3 Likes

I’m going to plant it by itself on the edge of the lawn against my big spruces. it will be shaded by them if it tries to spread under them. if it tries to spread on the lawn, it’ll get mowed. :wink:

2 Likes

Mine really like full sun. It may do fine in shade. My experience is full sun.

4 Likes

I just have no problem with it spreading.
It stays in a clump here.maybe 2ft wide. For decades.
Has not spread underground , it blooms , yet have not noticed seed.
For the best quality roots you are supposed to plant young roots by their self, pruning side roots so you get a nice long tender new root, to dig in the fall.
I don’t do this, I just dig what I need off the main clump.
Putting the dirt ( with small roots ) back where it came.

3 Likes

Mine is planted in a metal garbage can. In fall I lift the can out of the ground with the loader, harvest the roots and put 3 roots back in the can. Regardless, they’ve still escaped. Frost has knocked it down so time to harvest.

4 Likes

Escaped ?
Please elaborate .

? From broken roots at the bottom of barrel ?
? From discarded dirt ( with roots ) while digging.?
Other?

I’m on my second can, the original rotted at the bottom (I perforate the bottom of the can to allow drainage). As Mark stated, they’ll easily root down more than 3’. I’ve also had them try to jump over the top of the can and I now keep a little more of the rim of the can above soil level.

4 Likes

Trying to visualize this, love to see the Vidio .
Did they actually move?
Or just sit there and grunt !
:sweat_smile:

6 Likes

along the tree line there. they get full sun until about 130pm so they should grow fine. ill grow them on a mound of nice loose soil to aid in harvesting. how deep does the main part of the root stay at ?

Mines a good foot or so

1 Like

Watch out where you plant it. It grows like a weed at times. If you happen to dig it up and not get it all out of the ground it will grow again.
I thought I dug mine all out of the ground one year. The next year I tilled up my garden and I there must have been a piece I did not get out from the fall. The tiller cut it into many pieces and that summer I had horseradish growing all through my garden. LOL

3 Likes