Hot Callus Pipe DIY

yes, I didn’t know what to do, @Aeneas61

best wishes,
Dax

Can you put a thermometer in the pipe? Something seems much too cold. I know some heat cables for pipes (or seed mats) only add some degrees over ambient.

I didnt take photos as it is exactly the same as Dax original set up, except laying on the floor of my root cellar, so his pics are better lit and more informative than any I could provide.

The Cable is the same Easy heat cable linked in Dax’s original post at top. Foam insulation made for 1" pipe slits cut in it every 2", slits further covered with duct tape after tree inserted.

No tree touching cable, just above.

16G extension cord. Can run a large 15amp saw so it should handle this little cable?

Im almost sure my temp it too low and the 20degree diff from my cellar and Dax’s basement is the culprit, these cables are designed to heat above ambient, and may not heat constantly?

In any case I dont want to continue with an unknown set up. Im building a rig now that includes a 2" PVC pipe, with a 1/2" antifreeze filled pipe inside with a pipe heating cable wrapped around the smaller interior pipe, this is a different cable that gives more heat. This larger pipe has notches cut out to receive the trees, and finally a layer of foam insulation goes around everything with slits cut for the trees. There will be a seperate thermostat attached and set above 80. I will take some pics of this as I build it.

Josh

1 Like

Yep thats my suspicion too Franc1969, looking back through this long thread I see one fellow who had the same problem as me, he noted these cables are only 2W per ft, and after switching to a warmer cable and attaching to a thermostat he had better luck.

I did check with a kitchen thermometer, and it read 80 on one end and 70 on the other, but that was one reading, for a few min one day, I feel it may fluctuate too much and randomly or be lower on colder days and all that. These cables never say WHAT temp they heat to just SELF REGULATING what does that mean!!! Frustrating. Better to have a set up that is exact and controllable externally. Will try to take pics of the new fort knox set up…

1 Like

Dax,

I have no doubt your set up is great for your situation. Im gonna try out Cliff Englands much more detailed and complex set up, before giving up and grafting something easy like apples haha.

Josh

1 Like

You cool-cool. haha.

I have seen those same set-ups in person of what you’re building. I like the fact that sponge covers everything. That’s something I cannot do with my current set-up. That sponge “steams” the area in addition to the already callousing going on which has to be a big bonus.

All the best, best regards,

Dax

2 Likes

Dax,

Good news! The new set up worked. I have almost 100 percent on everything to include;

Black walnut/heartnut
Persimmon
pecan
peach
mulberry

I will be starting a seperate thread to share the design and make up of my system at the request of another forum member, and so as not to pollute your thread here with a bunch of pics. I will try to add one of a callused Black Walnut rootstock.

Thanks for the great write up and advice Dax!!!
Josh

3 Likes

Keep them staked, for me!

Good job, buddy.

I would not expect good results in a cold space with the self regulating heat cable. They have a maximum capacity of about 3 watts per foot and in a cold space you need more. They work OK in a 50F and up space. I use a heat cable that requires a controller and has 6 watts per foot to graft in unheated space down to freezing. You must maintain heat at 76-81F . A PID controller and a pipe heating cable with the thermostat bypassed works great for me.

What would you plan for tart cherry on Mahaleb with the callus pipe? What stage and temp for rootstock, do I just keep an eye on them for appropriate callus before I can remove? I can keep grafts of cherry/apple/pear/plum/peach all separate if needed.

1 Like

What room temperature is too high for hot pipe callusing? I finally got my seedlings and the room is 55F. What kind of heating cable works best? Any without the thermostat?

60 is max I would say. I do it at 55.

Go to the first post. Everything is there & including links.

I bought an easy heat cable. Getting that thermostat off is a bear.

1 Like

It works like a champ. It took like 1/2 an hour cause you have to staple the heat cable on, but otherwise, you’re up in 1/2 an hour or less, probably. It works great.

To use this setup you shouldn’t have to remove the thermostat…

1 Like

i want to use a thermostat that I can control. These only have one temperature and may not be high enough.

Then you bought the wrong cable. It’s self-regulating, ‘The Easy Heat’ and it’s between 78 F and 82 F
basically. I use it and it works great.

OK. I was going by some online questions on amazon where someone said it cut off at 45F.

1 Like

It looks like you leave the thermostat hanging outside the pipe and insulation. That way it will keep heating until it reaches the 80F limit? Is that correct?

The thermostat doesn’t go in the pipe because it would take up space, basically. And it wouldn’t fit inside the pipe I use with 1" id or whatever it is.