Hot Callus Pipe DIY

cool and dark like a basement but you do what you can. My basement fluctuates 50-58 F.

Google will know more than me.

2 Likes

To me, the system seems to work well with nuts. Here is my first test since Dax presented this solution to us.
Here some nuts which seem to start after a little less than 15 days.

5 Likes

evolution. A photo rather than a long speech.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Time to start bragging.

@Barkslip I grafted late on purpose. I didnā€™t want to graft during the winter and I didnā€™t want to manage the plants in the house afterwards.
I put others back to heat on Monday.
On the first test 60% starting after 24 days.
We will see what it will give after on the juglan regia.
This system is effective.
The difference, I grafted on rootstocks at the beginning of the vegetation.

1 Like

Iā€™m purposely being quiet & thank you.

for anyone else interested as it seems Christophe has read everything I have wrote, I had around 2 of 80 walnuts grafted on nigra: Juglans nigra.

Iā€™m listening to our France friend, at the moment.

Thanks you for your results.

1 Like

Trees pulled out of the tube yesterday.
This system is good for walnut trees for me.
Here we see 2 Mitchell grafted on juglan regia.
And 2 variety of Regia on regia.
Iā€™m waiting to see what the nigra will give.
Thank you Dax for this sharing.

3 Likes

Dax, Im planning to try this in a few months. Could you elaborate why no walnut? I have seen papers detailing hot callus for walnut so am curious what exactly about this particular set up discludes them?
Thanks
Josh

1 Like

Dax can elaborate but I think itā€™s because they ā€œbleedā€ sap for awhile once grafted. I could be wrong, havenā€™t personally grafted walnuts.

1 Like

I have asked a friend to reply. What I know is black walnut as rootstock and also bareroot did not accept scions. Our friend Iā€™ve asked to reply grafted Carpathian/Persian walnut rootstocks and had success. He didnā€™t do a lot of walnuts but he did enough to comment.

4 Likes

He speaks another language so I had to touch up his phrases. I know for certain he used Carpathian/Persian rootstock and that some other time he was going to try Black walnut. His trees were in containers and rooted in.

__ He says:

To answer your question. My first try was not bad. I was 60% successful.
The second try is unsuccessful. I interrupted it after 15 days of heating. So thatā€™s normal. My wife made me remove the equipment.

In the first test, I modified the parameters.
The insulating tube was filled with wet perlite to provide (humidity). I donā€™t think this is necessary.
All the rootsotcks were forced to break dormancy before grafting w/ leaves unfurling. I think itā€™s essential for nuts.

I think the heating period is longer for nuts. 3 to 5 weeks. 3 week seems way too tight.
I think itā€™s best to aim for up to 5 weeks. It seems like itā€™s best to remove from the tube when the scionwood has already started well. 2 or 3 cm of growth.

The path looks good and interesting, but adaptations still need to be made. For other fruit trees I find no interest there.

2 Likes

Thanks for providing more information. The minutia may help those making adaptions.

1 Like

Dax,

Just had a long talk with Cliff England from Englands nursery, he did many thousands of hot callus grafts back in the 90s, various walnuts, heartnuts, pecans and chestnuts, really everything, here is his tips. Walnut rootstocks must be conditioned before grafted or will bleed and fail, even while dormant! He advises, 10 days to 2 weeks before grafting, dessicating rootstocks by placing roots in dry compost, then after this ā€œconditioningā€ graft, put in the tube for 21 days, keep roots in dry compost the whole time or will fail. Start hight on rootstock, if fails to callus, cut it lower and try again, at some point it will stop bleeding and take. He said he wasted a few hundred rootstocks before figuring this out, then did thousands with 90% success. Season, late winter into spring, continued into a cold bot AC cooled shed into april to extend season of hot callus.

9 Likes

Appreciate it.

Does anyone have feedback on how well this worked with their peaches and nectarines? A few mentioned they were trying it.

What about plums and pluots? Do they fall on the cooler apple side or the warmer peach side?

1 Like

Question for anyone who has used this for grape- I have seen people put the rooting end on the pipe for callus. Do you then or simultaneously put the graft over the heat? What about grafting onto bare-root rootstock- just callus the graft?I am going to make my first try at grafted grape, and would likely use the callus pipe since it is on.

Dax,

Sad to say after following all the tips and set up exactly, I have zero callus on all trees after 21 days. I purposely tried a mix of species, persimmon, pecan, walnut, mulberry, and peach. Nothing showed any callus at all. Trying to figure out whyā€¦temperature seems to be the thing I keep imagining. My set up was layed on floor of root cellar which showed 40F throught period of 21 days. I do have 100FT of extension cord going out to the cellar. Not sure if there is any voltage drop over that distance? Also not sure maybe these cables heat to a temp above ambient, so if you are too cool, it never gets to the right temp for callus formation?

I liked this system for its simplicity, and many seem to have good luck, sadly not this guy. I think I will have to just bite the bullet and build the more complex pipe inside pipe with dedicated wired thermostat and all that which large nurseries use most oftenā€¦more expense and time but at least I can know for sure what the temp is inside the pipe at all times, what the tape is doing.

Or find a way to warm the area instead of building ā€œNew Yorkā€. I, I, donā€™t know what else but you couldnā€™t have said it better yourself. Thatā€™s way too cold. Mineā€™s in a 55 or 60-degree basement. I, I, honestly have no clue either. Iā€™ve never tried it in those conditions and Iā€™m not intellingent enough to answer your questions regarding extension cords (w/o research) but I wouldnā€™t use anything other than extremely thick cord and I have one. Itā€™s made to do what youā€™re talking for . . .

Iā€™m so sorry for what the reason could be - something went wrong.

Determination always has its place, Iā€™m to suppose.

best regards!

Dax

Josh do you have a photo of your setup as well as a list of the specific components (brands if possible) that you used? That may help us to help youā€¦Also what gauge is your extension cord?

Edit: I was just thinking that if the area you are using is always going to be colder than it should be, perhaps you need better insulation or added heat or both. I am thinking along the lines of a couple of 4x8 sheets of 2" insulation foam board cut to make a cover for your setup to retain heat.

2 Likes