Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

Warm, hot, and some really hot peppers we’re trying this year:

Pepperoncini
Beaver Dam
Jalapeño
Fish

Red Cayenne
Ghost (Bhut Jolokia)
Bubblegum 7-pot
White 7-pot
Long Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero

2 Likes

Unpickled and cleaned of seeds, pepperoncini diced in a tuna salad sandwich is very good.

The Fish peppers I’ve grown have an interesting flavor. It comes out pretty good in vegetable stir-fry.

1 Like

this could go into the “tip of the day” thread, but i’ll post it here, since it’s more pepper-specific.

to prop up floppy seedlings, i use a strip of saran wrap. it’s easy to move about and adjust along the seedling’s cup. no need to poke anything into the soil.

this jaloro (thanks, @thepodpiper!) was flopping every which way, but with application of the saran wrap trellis, it finally straightened out.

3 Likes

I planted a bunch of peppers this year- mild, medium, hot and nuclear, and oddly enough the first one to sprout? A white 7-pot! Even faster than some mild banana and bell varieties.

@erect-and-thornless, how did your datils do last year? Were they hot? Good flavor? Did you plant some Bulgarian Carrot this year?

1 Like

the 7-pot already? pod works in mysterious ways. :rofl:

yup, bulgarian carrot hasn’t grown very tall, but it has open flowers already. some growers on thehotpepper.com find its skin to be tough, but i’m sure that problem can be solved with knife or scissors.

re: my review of datils, please see post #7 in this thread. the short version: i found them narsty, narsty, narsty.

1 Like

BC never grew into a large plant for me, compared to other peppers, especially hot ones. The two I planted out a couple years ago were maybe two foot tall max, and not wide either, but seemed to be pretty prolific for its size. And mucho hot.

Regarding 7-pots, they seem to germinate pretty fast for me, compared to other hot varieties. My white variety grew up to almost 3 feet last year, but just produced about 15 pods, prob because of poor soil. But, wow, are they smokin’ hot…

I am also pleased to say these 7-pot seeds were ones I saved from last year’s pods, so looks like I did something right for once…

1 Like

from my physics classes, i dimly recall that a handful of superhot peppers can power an entire solar system for, like, billions of years.

2 Likes

Rezha. It’s striking in appearance, espcially when ripe, and fulfills multiple roles, roasting, paprika, sauce base, etc…

1 Like

Glad to hear you like Rehza, since I planted some seeds to give it a try. I got them late, so hopefully it isn’t one of those 100-day or more peppers. The just sprouted last week while my other seedlings are 2 months old.

The pictures certainly look pretty cool. How hot would you say it is compared to say a Jalapeno?

1 Like

spelled Rezha.

It has a sweet finish. Heat has a range. Some are milder than Jalapeno, some hotter.

Thanks. I like a bit of heat, but not too much so maybe if I find them getting too hot for me I’ll just try keeping them well watered. I’m really looking forward to tasting these.

I can tolerate pretty spicy, but to me at least, the Jalapeno heat level is probably what I’m after in an all purpose pepper (minus the Jalapeno flavor, more like a sweet pepper).

If there is spicy additive on a pizza, for example, I still want to be able to taste everything that’s in that pizza.

i put a oscillating fan on low, over them since they were 1in. tall and now they are 12in. with no supports. a breeze forces the cells of the plants to develop a more rigid stalk , like if grown outside. may need support once fruit starts getting bigger but so far all 17 are standing on their own. a little trick my father showed me when growing out all his seedlings. :wink:

6 Likes

topped a paper lantern habanero seedling last night; this is the hottest pepper i’m growing right now.

what was really neato was that a second after cutting it, i could smell something peppery in the air. don’t recall that happening with serranos and vietnamese tear jerkers. the downside: it smelled a bit like datil, like milky mothballs.

o gods of the garden, i beseech you—please don’t let the PL habanero taste like a datil. that would suck bigly. (then again, they are both subtypes of Capsicum chinense, so they very well could carry similar flavors.)

1 Like

on freezing peppers:

my vietnamese tear jerkers are good for days, sometimes weeks after thawing and storing in the fridge. they lose a bit of their crisp texture after thawing, but the flavor and heat don’t seem any different at all.

serranos, on teh udder hand, are a mushy, goopy mess after thawing. not going to freeze them anymore; for fresh use only.

1 Like

thanks again, @thepodpiper! in the foreground, from left to right: jaloro (yellow jalapeno), the carrots of the bulgarians, and bishop’s crown. (behind them: my prime ark freedom planters.)

bishop’s crown is just putting out buds. it’s rather tall, about twice the height of the B carrot plant.

the bulgarian carrot is precocious, developing ahead of all my other peppers except the serrano. and i had my first carrot today. i dig it—similar to a serrano but sweeter. definitely a keeper. thanks to @thepodpiper for the seeds and @Richard & @subdood_ky_z6b for the rec!

7 Likes

Not super hot, but by far my favorite to dry and make powder of - Rezha Macedonian. I grow this variety every year even though it’s a bit of a hassle to grow. Totally worth it. Due to me moving earlier this year, they’re coming in late, but they are finally starting to ripen up.

7 Likes

Those look lovely. I have a couple Rezha plants and the pods look like they should be ripening in a week or so. I’m really looking forward to trying them. I might even enter some in our county fair since they look so unusual. What is it about the taste that is such a favorite for you?

1 Like

It’s heat is very pleasant. It’s not overpowering at all and has a mellow but robust presence. This type of heat is rare in my experience. It features a slight sweetness, whether you grill it or dry it, and the flavor is equal savory and full. Hard to explain, but it is a spectacular pepper for drying. It compliments meat and stew dishes best, but I have it on everything but fish (there I use a mix of Aji Peach and Aji Lemon).

Keep in mind though, this is not a fresh eating pepper. The skin is rough and the walls are thin and slightly dry. Where it shines is dried and turned into powder or in grilled salsa.

3 Likes