Hot peppers only. Which varieties do you grow?

i researched it and it seems some dogs aren’t affected by capsasin like people are. i got a bunch of pepper seeds from podpiper in a trade. going to try to grow naga viper next summer. :wink: its the only super hot that has a short enough season to grow here.

2 Likes

Mocky, where can I buy these Rezha seeds? Very interesting variety.

1 Like

I originally got my seeds from Baker Creek. By saving seeds each year from the largest pods, this variety gets more consistent in size. Spectacular grilled or dried.

2 Likes

That’s crazy, I live only 2 hours from them, been there before, thanks Mocky.

1 Like

Manuang, how do you rate that pepper, like to order it if you like it a lot.

1 Like

I am used to eating spicy food and had hot peppers in almost every meals esp. dinner. That said, Sepia Serpent is extremely hot. I only tried tiny pieces of it a few times. It was fine at first for a second or two, then, it hit you. Not recommend for a large amount consumption.

1 Like

Great, thank you, I,ll skip that one. Sound like a too hot pepper for me.

1 Like

I grow a lot of different hot peppers. One of the favorites of mine this year was Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange. It was a great producer with great flavor.

1 Like

I feel at this point some of these hot peppers have just evolved into growing pure mace! The first bhut jolakia i grew i thought it was just some regular extremely hot asian pepper as it was given to me without much info with a bunch of peppers, it made a hot sauce i would not eat willingly.

3 Likes

Bhut Jalokia is soooo tasty though. While borderline a super hot, the flavor and aroma is just fantastic. It’s my go-to pepper to increase the heat and fruitiness in some sauces.

2 Likes

I’ve been turing up the heat with my ghost pepper powder but still use it sparingly. i agree it does have a good taste but in small amounts. i went crazy with it in a chill i made and man did we pay for it! was burping it for 2 days. felt like my lips burnt off!

1 Like

While cleaning the kitchen in February ,I found some Serrano peppers that were moldy.
I threw them in a 20gal pot with a lemon tree.
They grew. I tied the pepper to the tree ,
By May it was so big it would hardly fit out the door.
Now …8-9 ft tall loaded with peppers .
The biggest pepper plant I have seen !
In the photo below, the red step is the top of a 6 ft. Step ladder !
I had no intentions of growing such a plant, it was just kind of by accident.
May try to get it back inside.?

I love Serrano s

6 Likes

Serranos are one of my favorites! I’ve tried overwintering peppers a few times. Every time it ends up being aphid central… Just keep an eye on it if you bring it in.

4 Likes

One of my favorites, Jaluv an Attitude. Nice fruity flavor when ripe, heat between jalepeno and cayenne. Nice and productive.

3 Likes

Hungarian Yellow Wax does well in the Puget sound lowlands. Less heat-demanding. Fairly hot when ripe

1 Like

Here’s a few of my hotties. Most got attacked my mites this year and now we got hit with a frost so I’m not going to get much.

The dark red ones are apocalypse scorpions. The lighter red is a death spiral (wasn’t quite ripe). Then chocolate Congo and Trinidad morgua scorpion yellow (I think).

Made some curry with half an apocalypse last night.

6 Likes

I have always grown Jalapeños and serrano peppers because is more common to find seeds for this peppers, I’ll also like to grow Poblanos and Habaneros for more heat. There is a variety of peppers that we use when they are ripe but also as dried peppers to make different types of sausages.

Lately I have seen a large variety of really hot peppers but it’s hard to find seeds for them, at least where I live. If anyone can point me on the right direction to where to get some seeds, would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’ve ordered multiple times from refining fire chilies. They are true to type and I get good germination. Shop | Superhotchiles

If you wait until Nov he usually has a black Friday sale which is 3 packs for the price of 1.

I can send you some seeds too. I have a pretty large collection. They’re all open pollinated so you might get some surprise hybrids though.

2 Likes

Thank you @Travis for the link and for the tip about the November sale. I’ll definitely will check them up.

And I’ll take you on the offer, And I don’t mind hybrids they’re like a box of chocolates, you never know what you going to find! Thanks

1 Like

Just send me a PM whenever you want some. There’s some that are older but I still have good germination.

2 Likes