Hot weather is here!

It’s not officially summer yet but 82 is the lowest daytime temperatures this week. It will be 89 degrees again tomorrow! How is the weather in your location? Hoping there has been enough moisture that in combination with this hot weather to get the new pear trees growing. Some of my callery that were slightly behind appear they will be ready for grafting next year. My small yellow pear is officially my best interstem. Hopefully this information benefits someone but I made over 50 grafts with this year and only 3 failed. Unfortunately those 3 were not user error because they were all on the same little callery tree. The grafts I tried on it last year failed so I will either remove it or try one of my other good interstems. This hot weather means if I had grafts that failed it’s time to move onto tbud season. The problem is since I learned the trick about my yellow pear as an interstem I only have 2 trees to regraft out of a couple hundred. I have several small ones fail because the root system was not developed enough yet but I can’t hardly count those. Anyway enjoy your summer! I’m going to think about how to have a fun summer and beat the heat!

2 Likes

As mentioned in other threads, it’s been very wet over the last month or so, and temps below average. We had a few days a couple weeks ago almost 90, but then we got in another rainy pattern.

Our last day with rain was Wed I think, thankful for that. I’ve finally been able to get my strawbs planted, and this weekend I transplanted almost two dozen tomatoes, with more in the next few days. It was very warm here this weekend, in the high 80s with no winds. We’re supposed to get rain overnight and tomorrow, but not too much.

They’re calling for temps in the 70s this week, but it may hit the 90s next week. No real threat of rain after tomorrow for a while.

Our trees started out this spring putting out a lot of green growth after fertilizing and liming them. The seven new trees have done really well, with lots of new leaves and branches. But, with all this rain, the leaves are looking paler on a lot of the trees planted last year. My Redhaven’s leaves look awfully pale, almost yellowish. I’m sure it’s been all the rain and not a lot of sun. My newly planted blueberries look great, as well as the new tart cherry bushes. The gooseberries have taken off as well. The 51 strawb plugs have only been in the ground for a few days, but I’ve noticed a few sprouts already.

1 Like

90F fri, 97F sat, and 90F today…Naefs shows a big heat ridge over the east part of the country…hope this doesn"T lock in…could be a hot summer.

2 Likes

It won’t take fruit long to ripen in that weather! Woo that’s hot for this time of year!

I’d prefer warm and dry weather this summer, just so my tomatoes will produce well, and not succumb to the various diseases we seem to get here when it’s rainy and hot.

2 Likes

Rainy 50-70’s. In Newport,RI

1 Like

Supposed to hit 92 today. Then back into the lower and mid 80s the rest of the week. Decent chance of rain tomorrow night, but this time of year that likely means thunderstorms. I dont like the heat of summer. That and the flying bugs … mosquitoes, nats, biting flies … seems like we have had enough heat now they were all out in full force this past weekend. The only time you would like a good steady “breeze”!

2 Likes

already hot and humid here in NE Florida, expecting mid 80’s to low 90’s all week with near 100% humidity so the feel like temps are closer to 100 degrees…

on the plus side we’re getting plenty of rain…possibly another 4 to 5 inches within the next 48 hours…

1 Like

Hot and dry last week, with a dessicating wind

Hoping that all the spring rain is still lurking around below the soil surface

1 Like

I’m due west of JAX. And we just got our first good rain in 3 months Sunday. Looks like a few more days worth today and tomorrow. Heat hasn’t been particularly oppressive so far this year but you know it will be soon enough. Does look like a good growing year so far though. To me…although I’m a newbie at this…

1 Like

So you haven’t turned your AC on yet :sweat_smile: ?

This week looks fine…maybe right thru Sat…the heat returns Sun?mon… next monday i wouldn’t doubt we are pushing mid 90Fs…

1 Like

Hot and dry here in Iowa. The high was 93 yesterday. More clement weather today as it got cooler overnight with dropping dew points.

I know I shouldn’t complain about the dry, because it seems like eventually the skies will open and we will be getting 3" of rain every 3 days. Last year we had a dry stretch at the end of May and early June, then the skies opened and we ended up with a normal or wetter than normal summer.

There is only about a 33% chance of rain in the 10-day forecast on Thurs/Fri this week. My western exposure front yard will probably start showing signs of water stress by the end of the week.

1 Like

hah…we’ve been running the A/C since April…there was a spell in early may where it had already hit the mid-90’s…

the rains are a blessing and a curse…you get a brief break from the humidity but then it’s right back along with all the mosquitos…

1 Like

So true. We have a bumper crop of yellow flies this year. Nasty little buggers…I’ve only run the A/C twice this year in Monticello…it will be on here on out though…

1 Like

Well, it looks as if the big rain is sliding south of us this morning. We might get some from the NW this afternoon, but it seems like we’re not going to be hit as bad as predicted. It’s still warm, abt 75, but cloudy and a little breezy, so it looks like a perfect day to get out there and finish planting the 'mater’s.

1 Like

I go by the meteorological seasons - summer starts June 1

And it sure did!

3 Likes

Rainy, cloudy and cool in the 50s here in Maine. We’ve had about 5 days all spring that have hit 70 degrees or more so we are more than ready for some sun & summer heat!

1 Like

90 plus the last 3 days.
Air-conditioning 24/7. My Jujubes liking it but not the lawn.

Tony

1 Like

64 and overcast in SE MI. I guess our micro-climate will sometimes go against the rest of the Midwest. No chance of above-80 temps until Sunday (June 11).

1 Like

Couldy and rainy off and on for several days now.

Right now, it is only 54 F but that is not bad comparing to tomorrow high at 49 F on June 6. Can’t get watermelon seedlings going. Not enough heat.

2 Likes