Hot weather is here!

I bought the first watermelon of the season, plus barbecue supplies. It is 71 now but expect 86, 88, 90, 90, 87, 84 over the next six days. Tomorrow I will pick all the bok choi, but you guys should switch to leaf lettuce.

1 Like

I switch to Batavia lettuce as well as leaf, but I also try to grow heat-resistant varieties of the heading types

I couldn’t find my old standard Summertime this year, so I’m trialing some other varieties. Gondor and Crispino have done VERY well, Superior less so.

I’ve found Flashy Trout Back romaine to stand heat better than the much-touted Jericho

As for bok choi, I let it go and don’t pull i out till it goes to seed. The young stalk is tasty and not tough

1 Like

Hey Mark! Yes its 120 degrees today! Still harvesting peaches like mad. Sweat sweat sweat. Have to really keep on top of harvesting right now because the peaches ripen super fast. They can go from kinda ripe to over ripe in 2 days right now.

6 Likes

How do you keep them once picked?

1 Like

Do the juice inside them start to cook them? Biting into 120F peach…juice burning your face? :slight_smile:

1 Like

You might as well make yogurt outside to go with the fruit that’s what I do. I boil the milk on the stove cool it down and dump in the cup of yogurt. I set the yogurt outside on a 100 degree day for 6-8 hours in the gallon pan . Once it’s turned to yogurt use the whey poured off the top in with other things. I love cooking outside like that. Mixed with your fresh fruit fresh yogurt is excellent!

1 Like

Amadio, have missed you but know this is your busy season! You must be making those fab peach pies like crazy!!!

3 Likes

126F in Death Valley…man the rivers out in California must be raging with snow melt.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?wfo=vef&sid=DEVC1&num=72&raw=0

1 Like

There is a video we did yesterday on our extreme heat and peaches. Other than ripening faster than normal and the sunny side ripening before the shady side, they are like any other peaches.

5 Likes

Once picked they go into our chest coolers at 38 degrees until sold. They will hold like that for around 7-10 days no problem. The trick to refrigerating fruit is not using forced air refrigerators that suck the moisture out of the air (and the fruit). We use converted chest freezers for all our fruit storage. Its near 100% humidity inside them, and that is super important.

5 Likes

Fab video!!! Please pass me one of those June peaches!

2 Likes

We have been crazy busy with harvests and trying to keep these old trucks and young girls working for us! Winding down now tho, only about 2 weeks left of the season and then its pretty well done, then its just pies honey and jam the rest of the year. Well and onions…I way way overplanted in onions and will be trying to get rid of them for the next 6 months in betting.

4 Likes

We have been messing around doing lots of videos…the social media platforms really skew towards video content. Cant stand having to be the video star…but no one else around here will set up and get in front of the camera. But we do try to have fun with it.

2 Likes

Gosh Eric can you hear me laughing all the way from RI? Its hysterical!!!

2 Likes

We made a follow up too!

Ok ok enough. Sorry everyone. lol

1 Like

No they are great, but Christina should be in the corn field man cave having a manicure!!!

2 Likes