How do I even begin to thin these Necta Zee

I have a Necta Zee nectarine tree. it is a genetic dwarf. It sets in clumps.

See the photo below. The standard method of thinning does not seem to apply to this one.

Doe anyone have any experience with these?

Thanx

Mike

8 Likes

Standard rules apply. Don’t overburden your tree, and don’t be afraid to fill up a five gallon bucket. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You might simplify it some by giving a branch a bit of a good shaking and seeing if any fall of that way …

2 Likes

I have these. Grab branch in tight, pull hard towards vou, try to knock all off. Do this on every branch. In the end you will have a good fruit set. They are really hard to thin but the best patio fruit I have tried. Actually really good but needs extreame thinning! One fruit every 10 to 12 inches is prime. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanx

Mike

2 Likes

how is the fruit size and flavor?

2 Likes

The flavor is very strong peachy, sweet and tangy …and drp down your chin juicy.

Mike

4 Likes

@Seattlefigs, these are very good nectarines and the best of the mini peach/nectarines IMO.

2 Likes

sinxe its miniture im concern for the fruit size. is it like market size or smaller? i love white flesh peach i had harko its good but not impressive

2 Likes

By miniature they mean tree size. The nectarines are regular size and comparable with Harko. There are better nectarines like Fantasia and Flavortop that are probably close to the best. Nectarines might be tough in Seattle though. @ramv and @Bradybb are close to you I think. They will know what does and doesn’t work in the PNW.

3 Likes

This variety may be something to try in the PNW and near a reflective wall may add a few brix.
Protection during Spring rains to stop Peach Leaf Curl or some chemical spray will need to be used.
Just about every Nectarine by planted tree or graft,has worked fairly well.Fantasia,Spice Zee Nectaplum,Raspberry Red,Emeraude and Flavortop.
They are probably not going to get California sweetness,but sometimes near the twenties.bb

5 Likes

Good afternoon,
Instead of starting a new topic I saw this and have a general question about my Necta Zee. My young tree is going into its third winter and so far have tasted two delicious fruits from it. Anyway, the last two winters we have brought it into our unheated garage but One Green World says they are cold hardy to -10. I keep it covered in basically an open greenhouse (open front and back), so curious if it could be left their or even planted right there and survive. Thanks for all your help.

2 Likes

In the PNW an open cold frame/greenhouse should be good for any stone fruit. If it keeps the tree dry in spring you won’t have peach leaf curl. And in summer it should warm up in there by 10-15F. In your cool climate that’s a plus for fruit quality.

All the clouds and cool temperatures in winter will allow plenty of chilling even in a greenhouse.

3 Likes