How far along are your trees 2019?

update of bud still not flowered, still not dropped, Jiro persimmon. a cherry Queen Anne ripening.
I should take photo of fig in pot, lemon in pot, and plum in.soil. The latter is quickly growing. Long way to go.

2 Likes

A Montmorency Cherry from Cummins just planted this spring already blooming! Sorry, the pic is terrible…

5 Likes

I’m hoping to get some on my newly planted 5’ romeo cherry! id be so psyched!

2 Likes

Thinning sundowner in 3rd leaf. It has been prolific, bug free, and amazing taste here in the San Antonio area.

10 Likes

Everything I’ve read suggests you limit first year production in order to allow the tree to focus energy on root development and tree vigor. After nine years, the tree should have had lots of time for those things. So I would say “Let 'em fruit!”

2 Likes

Thanks John, that’s how I was thinking too! I should have fruit this year as we’ve had some sort of native pollinator working the tree. I was disappointed the neighbors honey bees didn’t find the tree, but it’s been too cool for them to wander too far this spring.

I noticed i might get to sample nankings this year for the first time in 5 years. Not expecti g much in taste but they are attractive.

11 Likes

i put in a couple last spring. got them for $5 ea. so if i don’t get much its no biggie. i had 6 here 5 yrs. ago the damn voles chewed to death one winter just as they had started to produce the summer before. saw a white cultivar being offered somewhere but i don’t remember where. yes they are inferior to other cherries but make a nice shrub. maybe if i leave these for the birds they will leave my other fruits alone.

1 Like

Edible Landscaping Plant Sale: Buy plants online from our garden center and plant nursery This is the place i saw that had the white one.

2 Likes

these would be great to fool the birds. i wonder how the taste is?