How is everyone's fig cuttings and trees doing? Post pictures and age

I won’t buy from ogw anymore, they have a one week return policy if trees don’t leaf out, but they sent me bare roots in January.

not great for me. I’ve had two issues with plants from them and they only give you that week to let them know.

I like to look at figbid but man, the numbers on there scare me. I usually just try to get scions to root myself, from friends or acquaintances. I did buy a brown turkey and a Chicago Hardy two years ago from another place, the turkey didn’t make it and I don’t have one now but the ch of course can survive anything, even my beginner fig behaviours

2 Likes

Fig trees as of today.

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that. My experiences with them have been very different.

1 Like

Such dark & healthy looking leaves! What the heck is in your soil?

Beautiful greenhouse too! I see you have a thread chronicling the build…I gotta check that out!

2 Likes

That’s awesome i live in WV this fall would you be interested in trading cuttings?

Wow!

Nothing special, bagged mix with lots of fertilizer.

1 Like

Figs i rooted about 4 months ago.

1 Like

A local variety called DFW Kelly Green rooted 4 months ago is already trying to put out figs. I ripped them off.

3 Likes

brebas?

I dont see why not. I got some good leads from Pacific International Market in Kanawha City. The old man there is Persian and he talks to more folks that are International than i ever will. He has some figs that he brought back from his country and they grow behind his store and he has some at his house. He has been trading with doctors and surgeons from other parts of the world as well.

International Markets are a good starting point for fruit hunters like yourself… there are some pretty amazing fig trees and other fruiting trees in the Kanawha Valley due to folks from all over the world that try to make things from their homeland grow here.

1 Like

I think they would be main crop as they weren’t formed or even swollen when I received the cutting. I’m not familiar enough with this variety to know if it produces brebas here, but I’m excited to find out.

CH Fig…

2 Likes

Wow they’re really coming along great!

Looking strong!

Thats awesome!

@Fishinjunky … that CH fig… is one i started from a cutting last spring… and kept it in my garage over winter. My first time overwintering something in my garage.

I watered it… but not too much… thought I took pretty good care of it… but early this spring i found the entire top that grew last year was dead.

Why ? Not sure.

I just left it in the garage and pretty much forgot about it… and a month and a half later noticed it had sent up shoots from the roots…

It came back to life… i was shocked and glad…

I got it outside and gradually let it work up to full sun… and it is growing like gangbusters now.

My miracle fig.

2 Likes

Everything i have ever purchased from OGW has been top notch. They have the absolute best packing of live plants comapred to any other nursery I have purchased from. The only plant I lost from them was a thimbleberry but it made it for two years until it finally died for an unknown reason.

1 Like

I hope couple of my stragglers are miracle figs. Will you up pot this year or plant in ground?

@Fishinjunky

My son in law and daughter are in the final stages of buying a home out in the country… 4 acres.

Going to plant my miracle fig in ground for them there.

Those new cuttings I started on 4/11… I started those with the hope of giving them a CH fig… and then later discovered my miracle fig.

The miracle fig will be best to plant for them in ground… it obviously has good rootsystem.

Those other 3 cuttings are looking really good too… letting them get a little indirect light now… shoots and leaves forming nicely. On 5/11… few more days… will move them morning sun for a few days and then to full sun.

Hopefully they have roots by now.

If these do make it I will eventually plant them in ground at our future new home site.

They are looking very good now.

There is a pic of my miracle fig this morning. Notice it has 3 shoots forming… so it will be a nice multi shoot tree this year. It produced a few figs last year… so should produce more this year.

2 Likes