How is everyone's fig cuttings and trees doing? Post pictures and age

they look great. Just my experience when they push out a stock with leaves like in your pic they also have roots. But if you have small leaves with no stock its usually growing from the energy in the cutting an no roots these usually dont survive for me. But i would say yours have roots

1 Like

I got my first order from them recently. Three trees, one was dead on arrival, and one died since then without leafing out. They sent a replacement for the one that was dead on arrival, but that one was dead everywhere except the bottom 3.” I haven’t asked for a replacement for the other one yet. I know shipping trees across the county can be perilous, but I wanted to offer the counter point. I will try to update what they say about the second tree here.

My CH woke up a month after I put it in an unheated basement.

Now it’s almost time to go outside, but it’s very lanky.

1 Like

my negronne is lanky like that. it’s always got fig or breba on it so I’m scared to cut it back. it knows how to keep itself safe from pruning I guess

2 Likes

I’ve been growing potted fig plants going on three years. I have CH, brown turkey and desert king .
This year I will be adding Celeste And V. sika.

I haven’t had any fruit yet.
Does anyone have any opinions on the photos? Could they be fruiting or just leaf buds?

There is some discussion of rooting figs within this thread:
Pics of massive callus formation

Figs come out as tiny baby figs, looking like figs, the buds that look like buds, are always leaves.

2 Likes

It’s hard when I’ve never actually seen a baby fig :person_shrugging:

1 Like

update.

2 Likes

They are usually called figlets, it’s very hard to take photos of something so small, so I have not successfully taken many photos of them, Here is a photo of a main crop figlet right next to a just opened leaf bud. Figlets if you catch them sooner than the one in this photo, then they’d be even smaller than this one was.

P1500032_shrunk

4 Likes

figlets

3 Likes

Getting their first dose of morning sun today.

3 Likes

looking great! looks like you have some helpful spiders to eat any pests or mites. Will you split the cuttings up later this season or next?
are you going to plant them in ground?

if it were me I would cut them down to a stump let a new stock sprout start over and train a single stock to a tree form and remove any other stocks. Your trees are trying to supply nutrients to multiple tops making them spindly.

I don’t believe there will be broad agreement with this statement, esp. when applied to Ficus.

1 Like

@Fishinjunky … i put 3 cuttings in that 2 gal pot… hoping one would make it.

Looks like all 3 may make it.

This was my first attempt at rooting figs outside later in the spring… (no bottom heat).

I may just leave all 3 in there and eventually eliminate the lower bud growth… so those 3 main top shoots is all that continues to grow.

That should help with crowding.

I have a bigger pot that i can eventually transfer them to… perhaps in another couple months once they fill that pot up with roots.

Once i move them to my hot spot in full sun… in a few more days… i bet they will really take off.

Those were started on 4/11.

@poncirusguy … yes back in my kid days we got bottom heat applied at School and at home, at Church… really just anywhere it was needed.

My Dad favored a leather belt… my mom a peach tree switch… we only got paddle applied at school.

A good first day in my hot spot for the cuttings that were started on 4/11. Partly cloudy today.

2 Likes

they look really good and healthy!

1 Like

Got all the babies up potted from 4x9 treepots to 8gal. Tons of roots.
I’m going to spread the pots out in my driveway that’s where I have the most sun.
They were started indoors January 11th then brought outdoors to acclimate to the sun April 29th then up potted May 18th. This is my first time ever rooting and growing figs.

Here is a list of what I have:

Biggest rooted keepers:
Red Lebanese BV x2 (8gal, 6gal)
Smith x2 (8gal, 6gal)
Ronde Bordeaux x2 (8gal, 6gal)
Kesariani x1 (8gal)
Chicago hardy x1 (8gal)
Unk Sicilian dark x1 (8gal)
Campaniere x1 (8gal)

Rooted Extras for sell on figbid my username is fishinjunky
Unk Sicilian dark x1 (4x9 treepot)
Smith x1 (4x9 treepot)