How is your weather? (Part 2)

more snow and a big drop in temps tom.

3 Likes

Thereā€™s always somewhere colder than where a person is, except maybe Antarctica anyway

1 Like

Sorry ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder if Smittyā€™s has a high chill hour requirement?

2 Likes

My wife is headed back to your beautiful free state in a few days for another week.

Weā€™ve got January booked down there for next year as well :slight_smile:

In a few years it may be January through March.

3 Likes

Been an unusual early spring, Iā€™d not make any definite conclusion based on one season.

I did observe about 3 other cultivars also buds barely enlarged.
15 days ago spring about 25 days ahead. Under 15 days ā€˜aheadā€™ of expectations after 3 chilly spells in March.

(Things almost came to a standstillā€¦19 degreesā€™ll do that.)

2 Likes

That cold is brutal for this time of year. Looking around N America i would say that area of Grand Forks was probably the coldest spot this morning (even far N Canada was warmer). Guess the positive is there is no cold air mass to tap into. This canā€™t go on much longer. The days are getting very longā€“wildcard is more snow but even that should give up soon.

Should see maybe our first 60F Friday and Sunday should also be around that mark.

4 Likes

Long range forecast has us getting 3-7" Friday/Friday night and 8-9" next week Tuesday/Wednesday. I sure hope theyā€™re wrong.

I was just out pruning a couple trees. When I started the snow was hard enough to keep me on top without snowshoes. By the time I was done I was breaking through up to my inseam about every third step. Iā€™ve got a 34" inseamā€¦ This snow is going nowhere anytime soon.

1 Like

Actually, no, most everything met itā€™s chill hours by end of December here. Past 2 years also before January. Probably itā€™s just a late bloomer?

1 Like

It isnā€™t a late bloomer here, but here to there is apples to oranges :slight_smile:
It blooms mid May here most years, as do the majority of my apples/crabs. Bloom times may be considerably more ā€œcondensedā€ here than there, I donā€™t know.
This year it may be early June the way this winter is going.

2 Likes

Iā€™m guessing our last freeze might be this weekend, a little early all things considered. Iā€™m hoping to shuffle the figs out next week. I just got two more euro plums and some gooseberries in from ToA Iā€™m going to plant shortly; they arrived at green tip. It dried up just enough and will rain tonight - if I donā€™t do it now, the ongoing thaw and rain will make it too sloppy.

1 Like

Sweet. Love to have you. Gimme a holler if you like and weā€™ll do lunch or something. Iā€™m a transplant. Be it 33 years ago. Florida is a wonderful place to stay. January is usually really niceā€¦

2 Likes

I had a sister who lived in Green Bay for a few years and moved back to Omaha and she said winters are so much better in Nebraska. Omaha today is calling for 71F.

18F here. Back to 50F and maybe 60F tomorrow but man the winds are going to pick upā€¦calling for 30 to 40mph gusts pretty much Fri-Sun.

2 Likes

We had a front move through like freight train this morning at 4amā€¦woke me up out of a sound sleep. It was followed by a snow squall line that left about an inch. Cold as all get out todayā€¦the 10 day indicates that this might be the last of the arctic type cold.

1 Like

When I lived north of Madison, I thought Green Bay was cold. Green Bayā€™s temps are much more mild than here. They do tend to get a bit more snow than we do, but it will also melt from time to time. Iā€™ve yet to see any ā€œJanuary thawsā€ here.

71 in Omaha sounds very, very nice. It was -3 this morning. Big snow coming tomorrow/tomorrow night and more next week.

2 Likes

60 to -5
76 to 19
66 to 31
been some yo-yo conditions in less than 24 to 48 hours here this past quarter of the yearā€¦so itā€™s not the year to use to plot bloom times I donā€™t think. Blooms came on earlier in 2021ā€¦but there also no apple crop in 2021 hereā€¦got frozen. Still, this is about the fourth earliest spring here in the over half century Iā€™ve observed things in this part of the country.

1 Like

Drenched. See this rose for proof.

4 Likes

Had a low yesterday of 29F with frost. Moved lots of potted plants inside the garage and covered my kiwi vines again (up to 8 inches of growth already) and turned on the heat which kept them at a balmy 41F. Left the tarp up one more night just in case, but it was only 33F this morning without frost. Forecast is for 35F next Saturday night, but very windy, so we may be in the clear for now. Next week looks like a wet mild trend setting in, so hoping this will be the last of our freezes.

2 Likes

snow squalls and 30mph gusts caused white outs and lots of accidents from ice patches/ low visibility windchill was -13.

2 Likes

another 1-3in. tom. night. lots of wind this week coming and mixed precip. basically a mess and makes it impossible to get anything done in the yard. guess ill go tie some streamers for spring fishing.

3 Likes