How is your weather? (Part 2)

Historically deep snow here in central MN
S230323
S230323r

edited to add… -3 right now, on March 24th.

2 Likes

The sun is finally out, maybe we get 3-4 nice sunny days. Maybe I get to redo my grafts day.

A lot of that should help the (not so) Mighty Mississippi in a month or two!

3 Likes

Is there any end in sight to this stinkin’ weather pattern?

2 Likes

Don’t see anything positive to report on Redfield or Niedz…these early blooming red fleshed apples got most of their pink bloom buds killed. Possibly all of them. So, they may bloom, but I’m skeptical if there’ll be fruit on them this year. Other cultivars as not so far along and should be fine. Like peaches, any fruit that blooms in March here generally gets zapped. Exception maybe serviceberries.

Yesterday in the 70’s. Currently in 50’s and rain finally arrived (forecast to begin in the night).

Honeyberries…some blooms still. Early blooms that I hand pollinated have maybe a half dozen fruits hanging on despite the 19F Sun/Mon.
Some branches tips blackened, some look normal…even on the same plant.

The fact that it had been in the mid 20’s a couple nights in the days leading up to our 19 reading apparently ‘conditioned’ some things. Lilac, peony, cranberry viburnum, etc. Damage not as extensive as expected.

No more freezing temps hopefully. I’m sure there’ll be a couple of frosts though.

1 Like

The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle[dove] is heard in our land. Song Sol. 2:12.

The mourning dove [not the rain crow] was “singing” outside my window just now — “praying” for snow, apparently.

1 Like

Nice for change, Spring like weather.

13in predicted from sat to sun. night. lovely!

3 Likes

30Fs and a strong north wind. Precip staying south. Big storm late next week could bring lots of rain and heavy snow to N WI and central mn.

I saw this out of California…
As of March 20, the Central Sierra Snow Lab recorded 56.4 feet this season — the sixth snowiest winter on record.

Looks like more precip is headed for California.

1 Like

It’s been a very cold spring so far. 23 for the low this morning. Trees are 10+ days behind where they were last year. It’s going to be a late bloom. The forecast for this upcoming week looks cold. Thank goodness I have a greenhouse.

5 below and it’s almost April. No end in sight to winter

2 Likes

Sorry about your situation…but I’m glad the ‘polar vortex’ hasn’t invaded the middle or south of the country much this time. I’m going to check and see if I have beans or radishes up I planted them before our 19F dip earlier in the month.
Other than frosts, I think it’s all good here rest of spring.

1 Like

radar shows there’s still 3ft. of snow. we got about 9’’ yesterday. snow showers in the forecast for the next 7 days. just above freezing during the day and still low 20’s at night. snows not going away anytime soon. FEMA is worried about flooding if it all of a sudden it jumps into the 40-50’s and we get alot of rain at the same time. rivers are still locked up solid. on a positive note, the maple syrup is running good and they may have a banner season with this weather.

3 Likes

I saw parts of W MN and North dakota could get -10Fs. That is pretty wild for this time of year.

2 Likes

I have snap peas, radishes, kale and lettuce up. Beans, beets, carrots…not yet.
Planted before the 19F 8 days ago. The beans may not come up…could have rotted in cold damp soil…but I’ll be patient.

Chilly…breezy…in mid 40’s…possible freeze in the morning.

Most pears killed…7-8 days ago…but at least some Bartlett blooms are good.
Apples–Niedz. tree is glorious pink today…more than redbud trees. But it and Redfield probably a crop failure. Geneva crab bloomed maybe 3 days later and seems to have numerous blooms not killed. Granny Smith in bloom…but I never checked those blooms to see if they are dead inside.

No other of my apples in bloom yet…though some are close.
Then there’s some (such as Smitty’s Seedling) that are dormant yet.

1 Like

My strawberries are pushing leaves. South facing grass is greening. Some signs for sure. Maybe near 60F Friday. Heavy rain coming though.

What a beautiful morning
weather1

2 Likes

i feel your pain. at least here its in the mid 30’s. just barely starts to melt and the temps go back down in the 20’s.

2 Likes

I see a location near Grand Forks is -17F right now. Temp has been dropping here for the last few hours. Down to 21F.

3 Likes