How is your weather? (Part 2)

60’s -70’s

Wet, I hope my fig cuttings survive.

Only thing i’m seeing green is some strawberries are starting to unfurl leaves. Things will move very quickly if we can get any warmth (not likely this month). Hit 50F today which is the 1st 50F since November 26th.

3 Likes

So sick of the Northerly air flow and low temps….snowstorm on tap this weekend with next weeks weather looking colder and greyer by the day. This is the time of the year that really tests ones patience here in the Northeast.

2 Likes

Drenched, all of my fig cuttings.

Mixed bag here…lost some Redfield apple blossoms…and 3 or 4 honeyberry plants have black tips on their 6 inche tender shoots. But I think I escaped better than expected overall.
49 at 9 pm and rain tonight. No more freezes in 14 day forecast–Yeah!

1 Like

Tornado watch here! My fig cuttings are in trouble.

Few more inches of snow last night. This winter just doesn’t want to quit.

3 Likes

No bluebirds seen and I won’t expect to see any for at least a couple more weeks. That’ll be the latest I’ve ever seen here

1 Like

Apple blooms on the lone tree having any open (Niedz.) are fried…I’ll have to be patient on the smaller buds to see if they survived our 20 or so couple of nights. Even some of the honeyberry shoots got blackened (and some on same plant didn’t).

I caught a glimpse of something blue at the orchard yesterday, not sure if it was a bluebird or a barn swallow.

1 Like

8in tom. and another 5in. sat. :frowning:

2 Likes

Both are insect eaters, right? One good thing about half a year with 2’+ of snow cover…no bugs to be seen.

I’ve always assumed the first batches of bluebirds I see about now are “scouts”. I’ll see them for a few days and then they’re gone until mid-late April when the odds of there being at least a few bugs around are improved. I think the first bluebirds may eat left over ornamental crabapples or hawthorn fruits on their way through.

1 Like

Pretty sure I lost all my apricot fruitlets to frost damage. Dropped to ~23-24F Sunday night. I was hoping they’d come through ok since they fruit were all dime sized or so.

Hopefully the tarp + incandescent bulbs saved the plum & peaches.

1 Like

Yes, I believe so. Last year the barn swallows set up house in all of my blue bird boxes, I think I have them set too high.

1 Like

About half of my bluebird boxes get taken over by tree swallows most years.

2 Likes

This kind of says it all here. 76 degrees right now.

4 Likes

Wow. Still winter here. Deep snow.

3 Likes

My Niedz bloomed today. Bless his heart. He waited until just the right day. :grin:

1 Like

Depending on the model we may or may not get precip here sat. GFS is far southeast but euro about brings the precip to this side of the state. Milwaukee and those areas might get close to a foot. Another storm by day 7 or 8 looks to have its aim and would bring heavy snow to parts of N MN.

low 40Fs and sunshine. Not a bad day. Wind is calm.

1 Like