How is your weather? (Part 2)

That would work. My system relies on frequent summer pruning and frequent renewal pruning. No fertilizer and limited water. I’ll probably end up at about 6x7ft say 8-10 years from now. That’s a fairly big tree. I need to start renewal pruning at 3-4 yrs. No later or the wood gets too high.

1 Like

Where are your trees? What happened?

1 Like

My trees were removed in order to grow fig plants for sale. That’s done so I have new trees. Just planted this year. Planting is exciting. A new beginning.

4 Likes

What variety of mango? Have you thought about achacha? It has some very well for me in a pot in my greenhouse. Here is a recent pic.

1 Like

I’ve got 12 varieties of mango. I’ll look into the achacha. Has yours fruited for you? How does it taste?

Fruit is similar to mangosteen, i tried it in Thailand. My tree hasn’t flowered yet, but I was told it takes at least 5 years. To me garcinias (achacha/mangosteen etc…) are the holy grail.

1 Like

It’s 35 at 3am, not the 25 predicted. That’s good news, and I’m hoping we may see tonight’s low prediction of 21 moved higher too. Sprinklers finally ready when temps dip and more trees are blooming. It will be a first for me. Excel wobblers high angle joined by 1 inch lay flat hose. Connectors have been a bear. Finally found a high volume splitter that doesn’t restrict flow.

Temps moderate after Monday.

2 Likes

This will be exciting. Cannot wait to hear what you will be planting.

1 Like

-2 right now. I’m pretty sure this is the latest in the winter I’ve seen below zero temps.

2 Likes

It’s 23F here currently, they’re predicting 17 for a low tonight.

What I see is people want what they can’t have. In FL they can’t grow mangosteen and durian so that’s what they want. In zone 7 they can’t have citrus/banana/etc so that’s what they want. In Boise, greenhouse or not, the holy grail is stone fruit. That’s likely the highest quality fruit that can be grown there.

Down here in a greenhouse mango might be viable. So I’m giving that a go. The last two days were the coldest and cloudiest this month, maybe this year. The GH got up to 78 and 88 with no heat during the day. Today is sunny and cold. It will be 90 or as warm as I want it for 8 hours.

2 Likes

14F here…wind finally calmed down some. Snow pretty much gone except for crusty piles and parking lot glaciers.

Extended looks better but seasonal. 40Fs and maybe a 50F if we get lucky.

3 Likes

28 to 31 here…depending on the thermometer and specific location of it. High just above freezing is forecast.

Tonight still calling for 18. Clear and still.

Then after Tuesday morning…looks like spring is really here in Kentucky.

1 Like

No highs above the 30s for the rest of March in our forecast. 50 and sun would be awesome

3 Likes

Nothing under 60 for a high here after Monday is forecast next 14 days.
But, at the moment tips of honeyberry shoots look droopy, and Japanese maple leaves are black already. Gogi berries look damaged bad as anything. Apple leaves are not black (yet), so only the more advanced varieties probably got it last night. One more night around 20 or into upper teens.

I do have figs, pomegranates, couple Jap maples and a peony indoors. Should have brought my blooming lilac inside.

1 Like

Warmest temp this month has been 48F here…so i would imagine we’ll get a 50F or better next week. Even 60Fs aren’t uncommon in March. I read a barge even made it to Minneapolis a week or so ago–although it had to break ice in Lake Pepin. I just hope the snow is done. I’ve had enough.

3 Likes

A high of 24F today with gusting winds and another 4 inch of snow. Tomorrow we start having 40’s during the day. Maybe I’ll be able to get in the orchard for “winter” pruning soon, there’s still 2’ of snow there now.

2 Likes

Normals down there must be in the 60Fs at this point? Avg high here today is 47F.

At least the sun is back out.

1 Like

Typical is upper 50’s for month of March…and precip about 1/3 of the days.
Average days have sure been rare this March…either in 60’s and 70’s or in 40’s and 30’s…but I guess that’s “averageing” pretty close to 60.

I think the next 10 days are going to average over 60. And things already had gotten far ahead of an average year. So, after about 26 tonight…I think it’s pretty safe here.
Oh, there’ll be frosts and a night of 30 or something still yet, but basically it’s
SPRING here starting today.

For calendar confirmation, the solar eqinox just said it’s spring…and the lunar calendar starts Tuesday I think it is.

Anything that had shown any movement, last night probably got it… 17 hours of at or below freezing temps with a low of 15.1F

2 Likes