How is your weather? (Part 2)

High pressure should be right over Kentucky tomorrow morning. The models have done a good job with this cold outbreak. Second cold shot for the weekend.

Menards here has fruit trees in stock. Some are blooming with green leaves. Rain/snow storm this Friday and no warmth in sight.

Blizzard conditions here for the last 5 hours but I don’t think that we will end up with more than 5 or 6 inches of snow…the wind has been the main issue.

1 Like

We got about 12" but north of us had 2 foot and south of us got more rain and less snow. We’re supposed to see some wind next, but pretty calm so far.

1 Like

blowing about 30 mph out of the east right now but no snow yet.

It got down to 21.2 F in my backyard this morning just south of Nashville. Kiwi vines have some shoots out several inches, with first time flower buds on some hybrid seedlings. A big tarp and heater barely kept them from freezing. Many plants are weeks ahead of “normal”, so I expect to see a lot of damage. Forecast is calling for similar, if not colder temps this weekend.

Rural King had lots of peach trees for sale in full bloom last Friday…you can bet every one of those blossoms/fruitlets is a goner this morning.

Hoping my apples made it…some are mostly dormant but some have pink buds and red fleshed ones nearing bloom.

Got near 20.

It got down to 25 with cleat skys in Nashville. There was a lot of frost. All of my stone fruit except E plums were full bloom or past bloom. The pears were in full bloom. In a day or two I’ll know how they did.

1 Like

Magnolias starting to look like opening. I pulled one bud apart, all brown inside. I don’t know what they’re thinking, but it doesn’t bode well for buds in general.

Still snow on the ground here. The south facing roof is snow free finally. mid 40Fs and clouds and wind. More rain/snow incoming. Maybe a few inches of slop.

Mid 30s today, I figured I may as well go out on the snowshoes and get some trees pruned. I got probably about half of them done, and will finish the rest in a few days. I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve been on top of 3’ of snow while pruning.

2 Likes

Ouch.

2 Likes

It was nice here today—kids enjoyed the sunshine.

Unfortunately another cold front coming this weekend for the East. Besides the time just before Christmas, this cold front may be the coldest temp we had all winter in the lower Appalachians.

Below shows Sunday 3/19, 6AM EST.

1 Like

60’s going forward! And up from there!

2 Likes

It was 80 two days ago and now this…lol

These are apple grafts done 10 days ago. Confusing? Yes!! The picture is turned 90 degrees, I think?!

At least the greenhouse is looking good.

14 Likes

Nice weather for a change, sunny in the 70s.

Steven, the pink peach blossoms covered in snow looks so beautiful but hope these peach blossoms aren’t damaged by the snow. Your green house looks so empty now. In my memory, your green house was much fuller , with many trees and grapes. Is this your new green house?

It’s the same old greenhouse. What’s new is my third planting of stone fruit and now mango. The first stone fruit was planted 4x8ft and lasted about 9 years. That was replanted 1.5x5ft thinned later to 3x5ft. This third planting is going in at 3x7ft. I’m also planting persimmon, blackberry, banana, grapes, and citrus. I already have about 70 fig varieties in the GH.

1 Like

Steven, it looks like you like the space of 3’ between the trees. What training system are you going to train the trees?

What do you think of this type of pruning system? I recently is evaluating of different peach trained systems other thanthe open center. I think this system save backyard space. 5 scaffolds are in 4 directions and top at 8~10 feet

1 Like