How is your weather? (Part 2)

night trouble.

cold nights moved up a few days; no peppers until next week to go out. worrying about jujubes I just put out that had some green growth

edit to add the night trouble is fantastic, long nightly thunderstorms, around 45F.

36 this morningā€¦the forecast has been useless around here beyond about 12 hours
for days it seems.

The rain has been removed and temps upped 5 degrees for Fridayā€¦if Iā€™d been been able to have that info on Monday or even yesterday morningā€¦could have made plans to be much more productive days.

Frost advisory tonight. I will probably have a freeze I left my sprinklers hooked up specifically for any last minute freezes. Itā€™s down to 35 and Iā€™m on the fence. It appears that tonight is the last cold night of the season. Thank goodness!!!

Upper 60s and windy. Rain coming tomorrow allegedly. I planted 200 white spruce plugs this morning, if we get some rain that should get them off to a good start.

I also planted a few dozen apple seeds in a styrofoam plug flat a couple days ago. If they work out, I think I have a great way figured out to grow and plant apple seedlings by the dozens.

1 Like

I have 2 of 7 seedlings from Niedzetzkyyana apple that have red pigmented leaves.
Expected closer to 50/50.

The forecast has changed/postponed for days here in KYā€¦canā€™t use the forecast for more than next day or even same afternoon for planning. Terrible forecasting beyond 48 hours since late April here.

1 Like

We were supposed to get heavy rain today/tonight. Weā€™ve had about 7 drops so far. I donā€™t know if itā€™s become harder to accurately forecast the weather, or if forecasters arenā€™t as good at their jobs.

2 Likes

If forecasters are like climate scientistsā€¦itā€™s the latter!

1 Like

I think AI, chatgpt fed massive amounts of weather data (models, sats, observations, etc) will probably replace most humans in weather forecasting.

Mid 60Fs todayā€¦lots of clouds. Not a bad day, but nothing great. 1/2 inch of rain. More tonite maybe.

Thunderstorm ā€¦in and out too quick to drop much precipitationā€¦guessing possibly 2/10ths.

I wish Canada would keep their smoke in their country. Itā€™s thick here today

3 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to think this is a jet stream pattern likely to last an extended time.

seems like they always have woods burning over there. a few years ago we were getting smoke from a large fire in central Quebec. then there was that big one in central Alberta that burned a area the size of N.H. it was so big they just protected structures and let it burn itself out.

2 Likes

So far today:

Those storms appear to be headed our way nowā€¦

1 Like

Horrible, Mistral today with 80 kilometer gusts. A new plum tree was blown over and one umbrella is down. Two more days of this. It is horrible. Fruit seems to be hanging on. Full sun with scattered fluffy clouds. Miserable wind. When it its it is dangerous.

2 Likes

rained hard last night with no wind. we wonā€™t have a day below 75 again until fall. nights will be above 50 it looks like from now on; 10 day forecast puts us above 80F, 30 day shows a dip into the 70s at the end of the month.

my cold crops have bolted but almost nothing has budded out on time yet. itā€™s a strange year again. was 85F today and cloudy, hope itā€™ll rain again.

2 Likes

Had a stresser this morning. The only fruit trees that are blooming here so far are apricots and serviceberries. Frost was forecasted last night so I got my potted plants put away. But, my year-in-ground kiwis and many others are starting to leaf out. I wetted the kiwi buds just for extra security. Came downstairs this morning and my outdoor weather station was reading 27 F and steady. Yuck! If I had been breathing into a papper bag I would have popped it. I dashed outside to my secondary thermometer that sits under a tree and read it. 32 F. There must be frost sitting on my weather station and lowering the temperature reading. It is in the middle of a field. Went closer to the tree line where I plant kiwis, chestnuts, and other frosty-freeze intolerant plants, and everything looks frost free in those areas. Just a patchy frost. Not a hard freeze. Everythings okay. :grinning:

4 Likes

Looked at the drought monitor - weā€™re in D0

1 Like

@ltilton are you saying that we are going to enter drought season?in June, July?

First time this year with wildfire smoke in the sky. Doesnā€™t bode well for the west coast fire season this year! The worst years are wet/cold winter and early spring (builds fuel), and hot/dry late spring and early summer, looks like thatā€™s what we are set up for.

1 Like

Its been smoke here all day. Mid 60Fs. It can in with that cold front yesterday. Another front moves thru here late tomorrow and should wash this stuff out of the air.

1 Like