How is your weather? (Part 2)

Day 2 of smoke and air quality alert here. I think it would have been a sunny day if not for the smoke. Between the smoke and tree pollen my eyes have been super irritated the last two days. I don’t know if there’s any relief in sight here or not.

3 Likes

Sitting at 30 degrees here this morning. The damage to people’s gardens, fruit trees and landscapes remains to be seen across the Northeast after last night’s widespread freeze.

1 Like

I haven’t checked the temp in the orchard, but it may have gotten even colder here. Wunderground showed 27 degrees two roads over. I wrapped a bunch of small stuff last night. The fruit trees are all in bloom. Hope the damage is minimal.

2 Likes

At the house we had 24.1F @ 5:30am, the orchard is about a mile away and it should have been slightly warmer, I hope. No frost build up on anything (it’s really dry here). I’ll go check trees later, fingers crossed.

3 Likes

My 1/3 inch of rain and pleasant temps is nice…plants are responding fresh green shoots and leaves…mustard and lettuce and okra coming along…tomatoes in ground almost long enough to be ripe (if not for the fact the number of days on the package does not apply in cool season…it takes much longer).

Red fleshed apples marble sized , Niedzwetzkyana a little bigger than that.
Found and ate wild oyster mushrooms last night, poke and mustard blended wild greens, been wonderful on ‘cool season’ crops not to have hit 80 but once since February. (Had about 3 days in 80’s then…that cost me a pear crop in March.)

I just need more youthful energy as early gardening is proving a good call here this year.

The Mistral is finally slowing down; blew up to 110 kilometers per hour. Hurricane force winds. What is different is that the sun is out, there is a fairly clear blue sky and we’re still sitting outside drinking coffee! The wind stops and it will start to rain in a day or so.

3 Likes

It’s been about the most Windy spring I recall here, overall, but it has abated of late.

2 Likes

The wind this spring has been ferocious and cold. May has stunk so far.

1 Like

There is a drought monitor published weekly. Each area is assigned a drought status like (in case of “Chicagoland”) D0, which means abnormally dry.

In the link above, you can click on the map to zoom in further.

3 Likes

Day 3 of smoke and air quality alerts. You can smell the smoke today. It would be sunny if it weren’t for the thick smoke. More than a little unpleasant.

1 Like

if I went back to twenty years ago to tell myself there would be bad air days, I would think I was nuts

The kiwis took a hit with the freeze, it will set them back a bit. Everything else looks OK.

1 Like

Where is the heat??? I am so sick of seeing these monthly forecast maps that show Maine being warmer than normal. May has been cold…and this damn NW jet stream is forecast into June now. I’m thinking that this will be a colder than normal summer.

2 Likes

Finally some rain yesterday. The Mistral is slowing down but will not be gone till next week. We need rain bad! The brush fires are starting early this year. I have been watering my trees, even amid the gusts. I get drenched every time I water, but the wind is so strong it dried out my soil very quickly. Not easy sometime.

3 Likes

its always like this here this time of year. it rarely stays at 70 until mid June. we have had less warm days than usual though. it could flip very quickly though. was snowing here 2 days ago. :wink:

1 Like

Well… :grin:

2 Likes

it’s to be in the 80s from now on, with only a break to the 70s in the daytime around the 23rd. it might get below 50 that night. all nights are 55F+ before and after that.

I suspect you’re right.
And minus tropical storms of any significance, it’s going to be dry in more spots than usual…though perhaps less muggy in some locales.

5 months of nice and 7 months of muggy heat…
I like Kentucky better as
there are 4 seasons here.
And some years I can grow plants
outdoors 9 or 10 of them.

1 Like

I can’t complain because it’s going to be really nice, but it’s too warm too early.

2 Likes