How is your weather? (Part 2)

In re BlueBerry’s comment “Hard to keep H2O for the chicks this time of year, eh?”
[one of Weather Part 1’s last posts]:

A simple thing to make me happy is a working yard hydrant when it is 1°F.

6 Likes

22 hours no power…

Got the 4x4 Chevy uncovered and thawed out some… heading to town… family with power.

2 Likes

If the gfs is right most of AL, GA, SC would get covered in snow next weekend. Even some snow in very N Florida. Still pretty far out to lock anything in.

Mid 20Fs and clouds here Getting rid for the next blast of cold this week…ugh.

3 Likes

weathers changed completely from 48 hrs ago. was supposed to be calm and in the low 30’s tom. now gale warnings and -0f! only job other than politicians that can get it totally wrong and keep their jobs!

5 Likes

I can vouch for the “hurricane snow” in Pennsylvania. It’s blowing most of the snow off of the roof. I’m hoping it will be easy to clean off the solar panels, maybe I won’t have to use the new telescoping snow rake!

3 Likes

This one easier on us in KY than 11 days ago on Thursday…but it really became a monster after digging into the deep south and racing off through to Ontario and Quebec!

1 Like

We got 5", with a few flurries now. The forecast was 4-11", so it was on the low end. Guess the temps just above freezing yesterday meant more rain than snow. Compared to the storm 10 days ago, this was a wet snow, but no power outages. The county issued a travel ban on the roads, except for essential (road crews) or emergency reasons. They dropped the ban a couple hours ago. Needless to say, I didn’t go to work today…

@disc4tw , not weather related, but does your PV setup allow you go totally off-grid? I’d ask this on the appropriate thread, but it’s a Lounge topic and I no longer have access to that sub-forum. Would you mind if I PM’ed you?

2 Likes

5 inches here is pretty typical snowfall, although i swear these smaller 2 or 3 inch snows are worse when it comes to car crashes/slippery roads. I think the heavier snow forces people to slow down where the little snow people just keep it buried and then lose control and smash into a guardrail.

3 Likes

I finally ventured out…6 inches counting the inch or more this morning.
Up to 28 degrees…and the accumulation is disappearing from the bottom pretty fast…on parking lots over half melted.

2 Likes

If the weather gets bad and we lose power, we don’t have access to the solar the way ours is set up currently. I intend to change it in the near future. Please pm me if you have any other questions, I love talking renewable energy!

1 Like

Per the news today my county got the most snow (middle TN anyway) 9 inch.

Power at my home still out. 28.5 hours now.

We stayed at my wife’s Moms for a while today… took her some groceries… saw the news there on her TV… that was a couple hours ago… and they said around 300 elec customers still without power here. One of those is us…

4 Likes

OK thanks, I’ll send one soon.

I took our AWD Mazda out to the interstate (13 miles) via a couple county roads that had been plowed and treated. Except for a few slushy patches, the roads were in decent shape. Interstate looked clear.

Our driveway, tho is a different story. But, I put the Mazda in 2nd gear, turned off the TCS, and it pulled the hill just fine.

4 Likes

Do you have heat backup?

I put a woodstove in this fall and one reason was that fear of losing power//although it isn’t very common here but it has happened a few times in winter–but only for a few hours. Now i’m addicted to burning and keep it going anytime i’m home.

4 Likes

Math problem: Compare the depth of snow on the top of the car to the known dimensions of a Honda Fit to determine how much snow we accumulated by 8 am today.

5 Likes

Something like 14 inches.

2 Likes

@warmwxrules – within the last hour POWER BACK ON !!!

We actually went to town… so my wife could take a shower at my sisters house… and while we were there our neighbor texted me that the power was back.

We just got home and first thing I did was check the big upright (rather new) freezer in the garage… which I had full of corn, tomatoes, berries, freezer jam, deer, fish, turkey, beef, etc… (we did not open it at all after the power went out) and glad to report everything was still frozen hard … after 31+ hours of no power. I was worried about that a bit… would hate for all that to spoil.

We do have a (non Electric) heat source… Gas Log Fire Place in the center of the house (Great Room)… burns LP gas… and that helped… we did not let them run all night though… shut them off at bed time… got up this morning to 54 degrees in the house…

My wife had so many covers on the bed last night… that we stayed nice and warm all night.

GLAD… the Power is back.

Supposed to be sunny here tomorrow and get up to 48 degrees or so… That will take care of some of our 9 inches of snow.

We had a wood stove all my younger years, and my grand father had a huge rock fireplace in his house. I miss that… trying to talk my wife into that in our new house plans.

TNHunter

10 Likes

Good to hear your power’s back on. Sure is a nice feeling when it finally comes back on.

We had a 44 hour outage last Feb after a nasty ice storm. We had 2 deep freezes (3 now), but one was out in our unheated shed and the other on the unheated back porch of our old house. We didn’t lose anything in either. Our old house has a 30k BTU propane heater in it, so we spent the second night in there because it dropped to 40 degrees in our newer home.

4 Likes

Wood heat is nice, so comfy. We’ve been looking at finding a used wood stove for our old house. It was the house my wife grew up in, and they used wood heat for many years. Now we have a new propane wall heater in there, but propane ain’t too cheap nowadays. Last fill up it was about $3/gallon. We live on 50 acres, mostly forested, so we would have plenty of firewood.

2 Likes

Been a very long time since I used wood heat. Could be mine wasn’t very good? Not sure buy I do remember it really sucking in Ohio.

I sure still remember using the axe and all…

(Over at 17:45…had a stove like that in 6th and 7th grade.)

2 Likes