How to choose fruit bag?

Fruit bagging is basically used in orchards in many Asian countries. To be honest, the most important function of the fruit bag is to color the fruit well and sell it at a good price.Of course protection performance is also important. Next, I will briefly introduce the four main popular fruit bags.

1. Paper Bag
    Paper bags are divided into a single layer, double layer, and triple layer according to the number of layers. For varieties that are difficult to color, double-layer paper bags should be selected. At the same time, the color requirements of inner and outer paper bags can be selected according to the different needs of planting fruit. Single-layer paper bags can be selected for varieties that are easy to color. Moreover, the paper bag not only protects the fruit but also contributes to the protection of the environment.
    However, it should be noted that the selection of paper bags is very important, and you need to pay attention to the paper quality and structure. A poor-quality paper protective bag is no different from a display.

2. Non-woven Bag
    Made of non-woven fabric, it not only has good air permeability and light transmission performance, but also has good protection performance, which can effectively prevent birds or insects from stealing food. However, compared with paper bags, the price is high, and prolonged sunlight may cause weathering and become difficult to recycle.

3. Plastic Film Bag
    Because of its airtightness, the plastic film bag can’t eliminate moisture and carbon dioxide, which leads to the decline of fruit quality. After picking the bag, the fruit is easy to shrink. Therefore, it is not recommended to use plastic film bags to bag the fruit.

4. Foam Bag
    Usually used for guava, due to the limited protection performance and air permeability, it has been gradually phased out in recent years.

4 Likes

Welcome to GrowingFruit, @AGROW-Peter ! This is an interesting post. I have considered bagging some fruit in the past when others have brought this topic up. It seems tedious, but the rewards might be worth it. What type of bag do you use?

2 Likes

Peter
Where are you located? Some of what you suggested is different from what I and other members here have experienced.

We bag fruit here not for the color the fruit. In fact, bagging peaches makes their color less desirable (paler instead of bright/more attractive). The main reason people here bag because of insect protection.

Your non woven bag is similar to organza bags. I just would like to say with confidence that bagging does not protect from being stolen by animals (not sure what you meant by “ stolen by insects”)

Instead of plastic film bags, we simply use plastic ziplock sandwich bags and cut the two bottom corners for air flow. They work very well.

3 Likes

Hi Mamung
Do you have codling moths in your area? Does the baggie protect against them? My Surround did not protect my Chehellis variety this year although it seems to be doing well on all others. On this variety it is very difficult to achieve a starting layer of surround no matter how many time I spray it, it just rolls off the fruit! So I need a better process. I am thinking I either need to use a thickened slugs of surround next year or learn how to bag the fruits. It’s a semi dwarf tree so all fruit can be reached. When you cut holes in your baggies how big are they? Could you demonstrate with a pic of how you prepare it? That would be appreciated.
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

Plastic film bags and woven nylon bags were worthless to me this season. The reason: birds in my area peck holes in them and then the insects enter. Only paper bags helped since the birds didn’t bother with them. Squirrels and raccoons did pull some of them off.
In past years the plastic and nylon bags did work but not the past two years because of the aggressive birds.

I noticed on the Agrowgroup website that the peach paper bags come in different colors. I’m wondering why there are colors in addition to white?

1 Like

I could post pics of all kinds of bags that animals have destroyed. All bags have pros and cons. Sooner or later those animals will find your fruit.

@DennisD - plastic ziplock sandwich bags used for apples are effective against coddling moths. However, the timing is critical. Often, insects attack apples before they are big enough to bag.

I do spray with insecticide once or twice before bagging for that reason. Ifyou don’t want to spray chemicals, you need to lay Surround thickly like 3 cups per gallon while waiting for apples to size up big enough to bag.

In the thread I linked here, at post #199, there was a pic of how I cut a plastic bag. Looking through that thread, you will get a lot of good ideas from various members who bag. Some of us can be quite creative!!

3 Likes

Thanks, more and more farms like it because it can increase the income of fruits. The fruit growing bags is like a mini-house to protect fruits. We have tested grape growing bags, pear growing bags, peach growing bags. The fruits grow better than non-bagging. You can try some of your fruits. I think this is very interesting. :thinking:

Thanks for your reply, Mamuang. You should be have great experience about fruit growing.

Yes, you are right. Anti-insect is a main advantage for fruit bags. Fruit bag like a minihouse to protect our fruits. Prevent diseases, reduce fruit cracking, anti insects and anti birds, reduce the frequency of medication and prevent pesticide residues and so on…

More and more farmers like paper growing bags. It cost efficient and works great.

We supply fruit bags to large farms, paper bag is a good choice.

Thank you for sharing the experience. Except the fruit bag, anti-bird nets can also deal with these birds who love to steal fruits.

Different colors will make the fruit look better. For example, there is a red layer for the red apple bags, red paper will make apples uniform color and better appearance.

We have more detailed instructions on fruit bags on another . Maybe you can have a look :wink:

Thanks for sharing. You’re awesome!

We have several people who own fruit-related businesses who are members here. We welcome those members who contribute their knowledge of fruit growing to the forum

However, we do not appreciate business people who post here just to advertise their products. The forum does not want to be used that way.

2 Likes