How to prune this fig tree

Hi,
So this tree is about 3.5 years old, and I’ve gotten about 1/2 dozen figs from it so I need to know how to proceed with pruning. I’m in Southern New England and still have the tree inside. I’ve begun fertilizing it and the buds at the end of each branch are slowly starting to wake up. I know I need to prune this thing, but need advice. Tell me what to do, experts!

2 Likes

A lot of it depends on your goals for the tree. Is it going to stay in a pot for the foreseeable future?

1 Like

I’d cut it off below the branches. This will delay fruiting by a couple of weeks. But the tree needs to be lower, way lower. At least for me.

It’s off to an early start. So, some delay in fruiting might be tolerable. But that’s your decision.

4 Likes

Figs are cool, they grow so fast. No matter what you do you can wait a year and fix it.
Growth is rapid. I didn’t like a few main trunks, so I pruned it hard and it grew new branches from the base. So I removed old trunk and started over. Pruning could cause new shoots to grow from the base.

2 Likes

Have you pruned the roots yet? Root pruning is important too, when growing in a pot.

I always plant my fig trees in the ground, so I could only tell you what I do with the in ground ones, with exception to what I have read online about growing them in pots.

What @fruitnut suggested is what I’d do for an in ground tree, in this situation. So I am guessing that it would work in a pot as well. Although do not prune too low, no more than two buds down from the bottom branch

After 3 years, your tree could be much larger. You didn’t ask about general care, but I would move it to a bigger pot and above all move it outside into direct sunlight. And be sure to water enough. And fertilize.

My ideal tree has a central leader and 3-4 strong laterals. You’re partway there. But your top branch seems weak. And the other two branches need to be thickened. That won’t happen without sun.

I’d make a heading cut just above the middle branch. Then cut the two remaining branches back to ~8-12". Allow only two shoots to grow from each of these two branches, forming a fork on each. Allow 1-2 additional scaffolds to form from the central leader. Scaffolds should point NSEW. Remove shoots that would form new scaffolds in territory already covered by existing scaffolds.

1 Like

@Bribri you good if I post some pics of my fig in a pot too and get some advice here? Wanted to make it a single “how to prune this fig” thread vs starting another.

@Drew51, @fruitnut, @ramv - any suggestions on how to prune this one? I was going to cut each of the long branches down to a few inches and graft Reservoir onto one of them. I grafted a Yellow Long Neck Fig onto one branch mid-Feb this year.

I just repotted this fig today and it’s roots were really circling and girdling. I used advice from a few other threads from both of you and others to clean that up and separate a lot of them.

Also - I have the pot sitting with direct contact with the soil below. Is that fine or would you recommend elevating it? I have read about elevating a lot but figured that if I want the excess water to drain our, soil touching soil will be better for capillary action.

Black Mission Fig
About 2-3 years old.
Total plant height is 83 inches
46 inches to the top of the graft of Yellow Long Neck.
3 branches starting at 2 ft from the ground

Pruning will slow down fruiting but not a concern in your environment. Sure go ahead. Figs in pots will root in ground through bottom. They grow well that way and get a root pruning when you move them. Sometimes quite stuck in ground!.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew!

1 Like

Yes, it’s not an option to put it in the ground, here in New England. Main goal is to get more fruit and have a healthy tree.

1 Like

Wow, I had no idea you could make such drastic changes and it could be fine. Good to know!

2 Likes

I have not pruned the roots, but I have considered putting it in a larger pot so I’ll look into that. Had never considered that.

1 Like

Usually whenever I up pot a plant, I prune the roots as a part of the up potting process, and that way I could untangle roots as well. The more freely the roots can grow untangled, the more healthy the plant is. Although if the roots are not well developed enough, then that would be a bad thing, to prune the little roots that there is.

1 Like

It does take time, so it’s a long term fix.
I like to have the new trunk started before I completely remove the old. Unless it’s damaged. I prefer to do this as I enjoy leaving my touch on the shape of things to come.
I’m not trying to make Disney characters just trying to accent the natural beauty of fig trees. Not much easier though!! Often grow shoots in bad directions. I keep trying!

2 Likes