How We Prepare Scionwood For Storage

I like to store them dry as well, though I think damp (not wet) shavings, sawdust, punky wood or the like will keep them longer and rarely causes any problems. I’ve had a lot of trouble with wet paper. Sometimes it is fine, but not worth the risk IMO. I have never hydrated preemptively, but it seems like a good idea. I hydrate if things seem to need it, and more likely before grafting.

3 Likes

I see merit in sawdust and the like.

This works so I roll with it.

Dax

Yep, exactly why I don’t often bother with shavings. I do like to ship scions with damp shavings now though, since I don’t know how they will be stored and for how long. If I have a large loose bag of scions in the fridge, I’d prefer there were some shavings too, to keep humidity up. It also depends on whether I’m going to use the wood, or I’m sending a lot of stuff out. What I can get away with, might not be what other people can get away with.

1 Like

When I hydrate the wood throws light condensation on the inside walls of the bag. I think it’s a great way to go, Steven.

I would feel a lot better if I were sending wood to others had I not hydrated to add sawdust. Like you, paper towels are problematic as we’ve seen. You can see them change colors to blues and reds and all kinds of funk. And wood will at times mold, naturally.

Here are three random bags I did what about a week ago? Every bag looks the same of (28 or so bags).

I had to turn two of the bags over with the labels on the front because there was none condensation on that side. It’ll depend of course how much wood is in each bag too as per the levels of condensation. The third bag with the label on the front only had condensation on that side. Naturally each is rolled up and in a larger bag.

Dax

2 Likes

Great info Dax!!

I finished grafting peaches I had for two months. The wood is beautiful. Same with other stuff I’ve had since December. Those I finished up recently too. You just gotta watch the insides of the bags for any extra water build-up than the light condensation that you want to be there. I’ve had to go thru several bags and wipe them dry. So be sure you dry the wood for a good 30 minutes.

Dax

2 Likes

Hi!
Very interesting thread!
I have a couple of questions for you!
Do you think would be useful to put scion-woods for 10-15 seconds in a 10% bleach solution to “sterilize” and avoid molds?
I read that it is used for cuttings.
Or there are no problems with molds or pathogens at all in storing scion-woods in the fridge?
If it would useful the contact with the solution would damage the cuts?

1 Like

I think quite of a few of the grafters here do that. I haven’t myself, but might start. I’m not sure just how strong they make the solution, but I don’t think it’s 10%- that seems strong to me.

1 Like

marknmt,

I think its 9 parts water to 1 part bottled bleach. Not 9 parts water to 1 part Sodium Hypochlorite.

Also, I hope people are aware that Chlorox now has many formulations of bottled bleach, and most of them have a lower concentration of sodium hypochlorite than the original and they also have other crap in them. The labeling is also extremely poor and misleading. They don’t list the sodium hypochlorite percentage.

I discovered this when I went to shock my well last fall.

2 Likes

A tree author I know does 10% chlorine bleach (thanks Murky I did not know this) & I only buy generic bleach.

I don’t measure but I basically have a bowl full of water and I put about a cap full in… so I’m guessing that’s about 100 or 1000 parts water to 1 part bleach. 500 to 1 ? I don’t know. I drop it in an take it out after a few seconds and then dry the wood.

Dax

2 Likes

Hello, Bleach is very short acting, does not really “sterilize” but does knock down bacterial and fungal populations. I find dipping scions not a dilute Cu solution then drying really stops the mold, still clean months later.

Eric

“Cu” stands for…?

Copper.

In case one year old wood is fairly small on this pakistani mulberry, can I use older wood as scion for grafting?

Yep, absolutely.

Dax

I cut the bottom off straight and the top off at a 45 degree., soak them for a few minutes, wipe them, off and put white Glue on the top and bottom, when the glue dries, I put them in a gallon zip lock with a little damp sawdust

2 Likes

How many minutes do you dip in 10% bleach solution?

Are you asking me? I said… I drop scions in for a few seconds. Let them roll like a log in water and take them out. Maybe 3-5 seconds. If I drop a whole handful in it takes longer to get them all out (cause there are more to remove.)

Hope this helps.

Dax

2 Likes

I ask in general.
I read to soak for minutes…5 seconds seems to be very short time…

I went back to my notes taken over the course of many years from a codger at least 30-years my senior and he told me:

“If scions are ever moldy: Use Clorox/Bleech but dont use more than a 1 % mixture.”

That’s all I have information-wise and best I can say, Archimede.

Edit: I’ve received scions with mold on them and I use a light scrubbing brush with that concentration to remove the mold, dry, and store them.

Otherwise I do what I said and that is a quick dip.

You do as you think is necessary. I’ve been doing the same thing for 15-years, maybe more.

Dax

2 Likes