How We Prepare Scionwood For Storage

This is what I do. When I receive scions or when I go cut them, as soon as possible I hydrate them for 15-20 minutes and then lay them out to dry under a ceiling fan. This will keep the scions fresh for a very long time and no wet paper towels are ever in the bag(s) after. The bags stay dry, the scions are dry but they are hydrated.

So I have bowls and pans all over the kitchen. I snip the ends off and into water and time set the timer. Then onto a towel under a ceiling fan for at least 30 minutes, and then into fresh ziplocks & into my fridge.

Empty bowls

Now the scions are hydrating

I did all my GRIN pears today

And finally drying

When I share/send scions, I include a note stating the scions have been hydrated and are ready to go into (your) refrigerator as is and that no moist paper towel should be added to the bags.

I’m pretty thorough obviously. Anybody else have a method they may like to share?

Last point is if the scions have been in a fridge for a long time, and you cut into them and they look dry, all you need to do is re-hydrate them doing the same process I described. After several hours they’ll be ready to graft or better yet, wait until the following day.

Dax

15 Likes

I think the idea of rehydrating the scions just before grafting is great- should probably be a standard part of everybody’s process.

3 Likes

These will stay hydrated for a long time. And I agree, a quick bath for 15-20 minutes is a fine idea.

It’s the excessive moisture in bags that isn’t good for them. If you have water droplets inside the bags while in your fridge, they’re too wet. Too wet is worse than dry because dry you can hydrate/re-hydrate.

30-minutes is the maximum you should hydrate.

Dax

4 Likes

Good info. Thanks!

I’m not going to remove the damp paper napkins from all the packaged ready to mail scions, but I will do things different from now on.

2 Likes

I’m not going to remove the damp paper napkins from all the packaged ready to mail scions, but I will do things different from now on.<<

Well, it’s probably a good idea to skip the damp paper, but I’ve had good scions arrive that way (including quite a few from Nick Botner) with no problems, and I wouldn’t be offended if I got some from anybody here that way. But I have quit doing it myself.

1 Like

You’re welcome my lady friend Jolene.

:blush:

Dax

1 Like

Right Mark. If you don’t hydrate it’s the correct thing to do… to put a piece of damp (not moist) paper towel to send.

I like to make a ball the size of a small marble for a sandwich size bag and for a quart a paper towel wadded the size of a large marble. A few large ones in a gallon bag.

Of course that’s if I don’t hydrate them (and what I used to do) especially a decade of shipping conifer scions.

Dax

1 Like

I have been using my Wine fridge to store scions. It is set to 39f but fluctuates between 39-43f. With my rootstock order a month away I have been getting a little paranoid so I bought a $300 Mini fridge. Got a great deal I bought it at Auction for $20. Now everything is at a nice 36.8f. A an added bonus I got a Monster Energy Drink and Redbull drink fridge for $25

Sweet. I’m in the market for a larger than mini fridge. I was on Craigslist the other day. Better check again, today.

Dax

Thats where I started. Bidspotter posted links to the auction on CL and I signed up. I am experienced with Liquidation.com and Rasmus so I was not worried. I placed some lowball bids and won. The little energy drink fridge resale for $300 each which blew my mind.

1 Like

I went and looked. I’ll check that site out every so often. Shipping could be quite expensive I’m going to guess though.

Dax

I got really lucky. The auction was just 8 miles from me.

1 Like

Looks like you’ve got a good system. My wife would not tolerate any of that.

4 Likes

Nice man. I like your responses (often).

Dax

1 Like

Here’s a nice new TUBE addition from one of our members.

5 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement :slight_smile:

You seem like a really carefree guy with not much on his mind.

Dax

Dax, thanks for the detailed photos and information. This is very useful!

I’ve been wondering what the best method is for storing fig cuttings until it gets warm enough outdoors to start them. Fig cuttings are a lot softer wood and appear to be more prone to mold/fungal infections.
I’ve been doing almost the same as you: soaking for 15-20 mins in solution of water+physan 20 at their recommendation concentration. Then air drying thoroughly and covering with cling wrap before storing it away in ziplock bags at 35F.

What is your opinion of this approach?

Ahh… I was just going to tell you to wrap them up after.

I wouldn’t change a thing in other words. I would though use a very lightweight parafilm type product vs cling wrap only because I personally am not aware if buds will push thru cling wrap. And I would do that so I know when the figs really cannot be stored any further whether for grafting or for rooting. Seems like the right approach to me. No experience but raw gut instinct.

Dax

1 Like

Steven at Skillcult has a lot of great videos on grafting. Even though I live in a completely different zone (zone 4b) I have learned so much.

2 Likes