Hudson golden gem

My HGG is a blank this year. That graft is growing like crazy though, so hopefully lots next year. I’ll miss them. Overall, very few apples this year.

1 Like

No HGG here either…but best crop in several years…so if the critters don’t steal them, some pies and jelly maybe plus a few for eating. I don’t recall ever having a broken limb on an apple tree…but Fuji may get one this year…as I didnt’ thin them.

2 Likes

We have a few nicely developing Gems, but the tree is shy bearing once again. I don’t remember reading that as a fault of HGG, but it wouldn’t be the only russet that has that trait.

1 Like

My HGG on b118 planted in 2013 has yet to bear an apple. This year it finally had a few blossoms, but the drought took care of those so no fruit again this year.

This is my 2 yr HGG. It has a goumi on each side of it… and I have been impressed with the growth so far. Looking good to me. 10 ft tall now and quite bushey… thick trunk.

Just to the left of it and that goumi… Akane… and to the right Gold Rush.

The Hudson Golden Gem is looking better than the other two. No blooms this spring on it or the Akane… hopefully next year.

My GR has 3 apples on it. GR has a pretty bad case of CAR… the other two mildly affected. Couple of cedar trees near by.

TNHunter

2 Likes

Hudson’s Golden Gem seems to be the worst for me when it comes to codling moth and other damage. I don’t spray, and don’t get useful apples from it, even when it sets well. Same tree gives some Golden Russet and Bramley’s Seedling apples each year.

It’s been true for me on two different properties.

1 Like