Hudson golden gem

These are the Hudson Golden Gem apples I just picked this morning.

They are very good. Dense and sweet, no tartness to them. The one I ate had a little bit of water core but not enough to ruin it. Picked 7 total after I found squirrel bite marks on one.

11 Likes

I have one of these on G11 or G41 I got from Cummins…but it’s clinging to life after couple years, not bearing fruit. I suppose lack of fertilizer and moisture…but other trees on B9, B118 and G30 etc have certainly done better under similar conditions.

2 Likes

I saw somewhere that it has been known to be a low bearer. I saw this after I bought the scions, of course. Seems so hard to know what will work and won’t work due to so many variables. I’m not sure what the rootstock is, but it was grafted onto Jonafree, which did very well for me this year (first ever harvest of apples!) Seems the best way is to plant one of everything and see what happens. Thanks for the input.

1 Like

I’ve got a HGG on b118 that I planted in 2013. It has yet to produce a single blossom. It is maybe 7’ tall now. I keep anxiously waiting for some fruit. I grafted another one spring of '19 thinking that maybe it just doesn’t do well on b118. I grafted it to antonovka. At the end of this year, it’s second full growing season, it is maybe 25" tall.

I will say that the tree I planted in '13 has seen some extreme temps. Week after week of -20 to -28 for a couple winters and a few lows from -35 to -38. It has at least proven to be winter hardy here.

4 Likes

I saw somewhere low bearing as well mine is on m7 and it has set a lot this year. Last year not so much then year before quite a bit. It’s 5 years old now probably over ten foot will whack it down this year. So for me it’s a good bearer might go bi annual on me but I just picked one couple of days ago still way not ripe yet.

4 Likes

Mine is alternate bearing. Last year was a heavy crop. This year is light — just 2 fruit.
A very high quality apple in my climate.

3 Likes

I think Hudsons tastes better with a little water core.

4 Likes

Maybe its growing conditions, but all of the ones I’ve seen in Oregon/Washington are elongated and narrow at the calyx end. Mine aren’t ripe yet.

Those look very round, I’d never guess they are Hudson’s Golden Gem

2 Likes

Mine are elongated and look a little pear like.

I agree…I’ll consider adding it to a Fuji or Frankentree…maybe get some fruits sooner. From reading about it, I’ll like it.

1 Like

Same here in Northern California. My harvest will be a bit light this year, but this tree (on MM111) usually bears pretty well. I haven’t noticed a biennial tendency.

1 Like

I got Hudson’s for about 4 years now and it is a very slow grower, still no fruit. I will probably get rid of the tree and replace it with something that will grow/produce

I went home and checked. They are elongated on the bottom more than what the picture shows. I’ll try to get a better picture.

1 Like

I don’t know. Not as pointy as the pics online but not round. We really like the taste.

2 Likes

That looks like mine.

1 Like

I couldn’t imagine removing mine. It is well worth it.

3 Likes

HGG is a top 5 apple for me out of my 40 or so varieties here in the deep south. Besides the pleasant taste, my HGG growing on G-16 has been grower friendly with no FB and really no other disease issues in the last 7 years. Only 3 or 4 sprays for me this year and I got a large crop of very clean apples. The birds at my place peck away at my red apples but pretty much leave my russet apples alone which is another plus.

7 Likes

Tried my Hudson’s golden gem today. At least now I’m know why the yellow jackets leave it alone this year. It’s not very sugary flavorful. Last couple of years the yellow jackets would hit it hard and buzz me if I even got near it. Probably let to many set this year as I didn’t thin it.

6 Likes

Here is one of our Golden Gems. Not many this year. We planted our tree on G30 in 2012. It was not precocious.

4 Likes

No, I’ve not had the first apple from 2017 grafts onto G30 either.

How’s the Hudson’s G.G. doing this year?