Hunge Apple

I’ve always pronounced it at “hung,” and hunge was sometimes used as slang for hunger in the 18th century.

Edit: Confirmed from Raven Rocks, a North Carolina heirloom apple grower. They state,

“Hunge (the name comes from the word “hunger”) originated among North Carolina Moravians in the 1700s, & was widely grown during the 19th century. The variety was thought extinct until a single tree was found in North Carolina about 25 years ago and propagated. The apple can be used for cooking, as well as fresh-eating (flavor improves as fruit ripens in storage & becomes highly aromatic). The mottled fruit usually is covered by a russet net, although the extent of the russetting can vary greatly from apple to apple. This rough texture, a natural feature of the skin, is common among heritage varieties.”

5 Likes

Very interesting info! Thanks!

I’ve been pronouncing it like plunge and will probably keep doing so out of habit… it does sound like hung is the right one though. I pronounced scion wood as sky-on-wood for quite some time having never heard it…

5 Likes

My Italian-born fig grower friend almost disowned me when he heard me talk about my Ba-Tag-lia Green fig. Ha!

1 Like