Hybrid Grape Southern Home

I bought this muscadine/grape hybrid last Spring of 2015. I planted it and it has only been given the basics such as an occasional watering. From my past experience it appears to be as hardy and trouble free as our muscadines. The pictures have a few observations. Like to hear your comments and or comparisons.Thanks, Bill

Correction to picture text: It has a large amount of fruit buds not fruit. Don’t count your chickens until they hatch or something like that.

3 Likes

Mine has fruit buds too!

2 Likes

Keep us posted.
Some years back, I discussed Southern Home with a noted grape expert in the PNW.
He opined that, in his opinion, that it was primarily an ornamental, with poor production, and that Bob Zehnder, in SC had developed other muscadineXbunch grape hybrids that were much better.
But… I never got around to contacting Zehnder, and the PNW guy is now deceased as well.
I’m still tempted to try SH…and some of the notable ‘cold-hardy’ muscadines.

3 Likes

I chose Southern Home for my climate a dozen years ago due to its more open clusters and disease resistance. After a few harvests I began ordering tissue culture starts from AgriStarts and selling yearlings in my nursery. Although it is a seeded grape, people enjoy the semi-muscadine flavor. I brought a plant to my new home 3 years ago and planted it in my trellis system along with Black and Gold Monukkas. If I knew of a seedless grape that was otherwise the same as Southern Home I’d replace it - otherwise it is a keeper.

2 Likes

I hope to get some first hand knowledge about the fruit quality in a few months. I like the taste of either grapes or muscadines. Is the texture of the fruit more like eating a muscadine or a seeded grape? Is it a slipskin? Thanks, Bill

1 Like

Skin is medium thickness. I’m not sure I’d know a slipskin if I ate one! :smile:

2 Likes

This is a video about growing muscadines that has a segment about SH. It starts at about the 8:20 mark and ends about 9:40. Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcrRRZgnk8Q

1 Like

Thanks

Does anyone know if it is Pierce disease resistant?

1 Like

Here’s a view from below and above of Southern Home on my trellis:

2 Likes

I don’t know for sure but I think it is resistant to pierce disease.

That’s great to hear, Richard! I’d abandoned thoughts of growing grapes… but might have to take the plunge and try Southern Home… I know I’m not gonna bother with bunch grapes.

I’ll admit that a more local (TN) enthusiast cautioned me about the PNW grape ‘expert’ and his opinions… as his experience was all in the PNW…which is a far cry from the Southeastern USA…even up here in the ‘Upper South’(which I classify as the frigid northland, me being a product of south Alabama).

3 Likes

Updated cluster picture from early this morning.

3 Likes

One of the fruit sets as of 7:30pm today

3 Likes

The fruit range is from pea size down to buds that have not flowered yet. They tend to be long like some grapes. Bud clusters of around 100 is reduced to about 10-15 fruits. It has several cluster of grapes for a vine planted in 2015.

3 Likes

This is a Muscadine x Grape hybrid, correct?

1 Like

‘Southern Home’ has a complex background with
ancestry from several species including V. rotundifolia, V. munsoniana, V.
vinifera, and V. popenoei. ‘Southern Home’ is six generations removed from V.
vinifera, and is heavily muscadine in traits, although the leaf shape has a
distinctive maple leaf pattern making it highly ornamental. ‘Southern Home’ is
reported to be highly resistant to ripe rot, bitter rot, and black rot, and has shown
no symptoms of Pierce’s disease (Xylella fastidiosa Wells et al.).

http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fruits/muscadines/cultivars/documents/A%20Century%20of%20Muscadine%20Grape%20Breeding.pdf

‘Southern Home’ was selected from the cross ‘Summit’ x P9-15. ‘Southern Home’ is special among muscadine cultivars because the P9-15 parent is a complex hybrid between V. rotundifolia, V. popenoei, V. munsoniana, and V. vinifera. The first three species are all from the muscadinia subgenus, and V. vinifera is the standard wine bunch grape species. You can tell the hybrid nature of this cultivar by the cut leaf pattern of the leaves.

http://www.caes.uga.edu/commodities/fruits/muscadines/cultivars/southern_home/southern_home.html

4 Likes

I grow Southern Home here in Phoenix. Id agree with whats said, its a beautiful and hardy ornamental. Been somewhat shy on its set tho. And the berry size has always been small for me.

4 Likes

How does it compare in taste to a good muscadine?

Someone else will have to answer that. We dont normally grow muscadines here and I only grew this one on a lark to see if we could fruit this distinctly southern fruit here.

1 Like