Hybrid persimmon Dar Sofiyivky

Got it! Thanks very informative
Dennis

I’m still wondering how Dar Sofiyivky compares to, let’s say a JT-02.

It is the first time I’ve seen a persimmon that I very much want to grow. Does not help that my nickname is “Dar”.

3 Likes

That would be great to hear such a comparison and hopefully someone here can chime in. But it seems like I don’t hear much about JT-02 from growers in Ukraine, etc. where the Goras and this cultivar and many others are developed. So we may need to wait for more direct comparisons until more growers here have all these varieties producing in one location.

Of course the simple solution is to just grow them all!

2 Likes

The main problem with JT-02 is that so far nobody on this forum has shown any photos of the fruits or the tree with fruits that he or she is growing. I’ve top worked few trees with JT-02 but so far there was no fruit set. Dar Sofiivky on the other hand has many aces in the sleeve that will be hard to beat: attractive look, excellent taste, earliness, good hardiness and 100% parthenocarpicity.

2 Likes

How long have you had the JT-02 grafts?

@SMC_zone6 or @KYnuttrees or @tonyOmahaz5 might have some pictures of the fruit.

3 years now.

Even my young trees of JT02 (under 3 feet in height) set fruit. Another graft on Jiro meanwhile has not set fruit even though it’s much larger.

1 Like

I’ll make sure to take some photos in the next few weeks as they ripen. Should be soon for me. And I can’t wait — JT-02 is one of my favorites.

4 Likes

Steven… Looking forward to those JT-02 pictures!

Also secretly hoping you can get your hands on some Dar Sofiivky in the next few years to try in our neck of the woods!

2 Likes

FWIW, last year I made a bunch of grafts of JT-02 on both Prok and IKKJ. I was starting a stand-alone tree as well, so these grafts were just for fun and experiment. This year, the new wood made a bunch of fruit but all the fruit dropped except one sole persimmon on one of the IKKJ grafts. It’s looking fine but as yet it’s showing no signs of ripening. And it’s on a lower branch so vulnerable to deer.

The point, however, is that there is some fruit in 1 year.

3 Likes

That’s pretty good! My JT-02 put on some good growth this year, so I’m hoping fruit next year.

Nikita’s Gift is not non-astringent. So it cannot be a “PCNA hybrid.”

Last hybrid that I’ve harvested is Kolhospnitsa - a mother of Dar Sofiyivky. It was bred from Nikitskaya Bordovaya crossed with kaki. Attractive and very tasty fruit can reach 250g. Tree has a neat structure reminiscent of D. kaki. Hardiness is equal to its mother Nikita which is quite surprising. It ripens after Nikita.
My thoughts are with the breeder Vasil Derevyanko and his family who are (were) living in the occupied Kherson.

23 Likes

Those are really beautiful fruit. I certainly hope all is well with the breeder and all those in the occupied areas.

5 Likes

Kolgospnitsa is a Collective farm girl ( member ). The Russian name is Kolhoznitza.- the same meaning as Ukranian

2 Likes

I found high resolution pictures on someone’s facebook page of JT-02.

7 Likes

Is that true – nobody?

Well, last year on a lark I grafted JT-02 to my Prok and IKKJ. There is one fruit on one of those grafts; others formed but dropped. If I show a photo tomorrow, will I be the first?

p.s. Nevermind, I showed photos tonight. Try the link below; I think it’s post 801.

And I think I had published them 2 weeks ago. Anyway, nobody can say nobody no more.

Edit; Here’s a picture of the JT-02 fruit, which I picked today.

1 Like

Hi Harbin,
I enjoy seeing your impressive types of persimmon.
I live near Seattle, Wa which I think may have a climate similar to yours. Can you tell me your nearest large city likely to have a weather station so I can compare climate and growing degree day data. I have grafted some of the varieties you mention to be ripening in your region, so I would like to compare data to guide my future grafting efforts since none of my recent grafts have yet fruited.
Dennis
Kent, wa

1 Like

Brno