Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Very exciting news! Thank you for sharing, Tony!

2 Likes

Tony, how old is this seedling?

1 Like

This one is going on third leaf.

2 Likes

I have a strange update…. Year started out great but my persimmon trees now have a white gnat infestation. Lots of leaves falling. Not totally sure what they are but I sprayed like a mad man today…. Fortunately my NG got the gnats later on so I think they’ll hold onto the fruit.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully after the sprayed your trees will recover.

Thanks, Tony. I hope so too!

That’s a very strange problem to hear about! Sorry your trees got damaged. Seems like an odd year for persimmon diseases. Some of mine had a fungal infection that I had to spray for. I never knew persimmons had foliar issues other than persimmon psyllid.

2 Likes

agreed, very strange year. The only issue I ever had was persimmon psylla- until this year. Thinking of sending a sample to Rutgers’ lab for insect identification.

3 Likes

Sounds like white flies to me. Look them up and see if they match.

2 Likes

@RUenvsci
@PharmerDrewee

Sorry to hear about the issues on your persimmon trees.
Question! What did you all used to spray with? Just in case for the future.

It’s white flies. They’re in my nursery of persimmons.

1 Like

Are they harmful to the trees?

They’re in there to eat.

2 Likes

Yes, they suck the sap (they don’t chew) and transmit disease. They are major pests to many crops.

2 Likes

Thanks Ahmad!

Yes, I read up on them further today. I believe they are whiteflies. I’ve been spraying with whatever I have that I believe works. For example, the Cutter and Ortho Bug B Gone that I have that also control mosquitos. Those you connect the water hose. I also have a 2 gallon sprayer that I use for malathion. All seem to work but will require several applications. Neem oil should work too from what I read- I have a bottle of it that I haven’t opened yet.

1 Like

I got lucky today when I nabbed 2 JT-02s from Perfect Circle Farm. They sold out fast. Very excited for this acquisition!

9 Likes

I’m glad you were able to get some!

3 Likes

I thought I’d been growing D. texana for the last couple years, but @Pokeweed kindly pointed out that the leaves on my persimmon seedling look nothing like texana. The same seller also offers seeds of various other persimmon species (lotus, kaki, virginiana), so I’m guessing it was a labeling mixup on the seeds. Anyone have a guess what species this is?

It survived 16°F in its 1 gal pot without any trouble last winter, so I’m guessing probably not kaki?

3 Likes

That looks like Common American persimmon

4 Likes