Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

A guess is all I have.
It does look like American ( D. Virginiana ) as Dax has said.
However , the leafs look a little longer / or narrower,
And seem to have a little more pointed tip than what I am used to seeing here. I looked up date plum ( D . Lotus ) on Wikipedia
It says , and shows photos of of a leaf with a more pointed tip,
For lotus .
Also found this page with photos , showing lotus with a narrower leaf , also more pointed tip.

So … ?
I have never seen a D. lotus, that I know of.
You asked for guesses, mine would be , definitely, maybe ?
D. Lotus ?
Don’t have a clue really.!
Photos of Leafs of D. Texana on line are rounded on the end, not pointed

2 Likes

I am happy to announce another hybrid persimmon this year.

Here are the H-118 American persimmon crossed with the super hardy to -31F Jerry’s Lehman Nikita’s Gift male offspring. I think this offspring fruit will be great because of the two parentage. I will grow out about ten trees and will see how tasty the fruits will be.

Tony

Here is the father Jerry’s Lehman Nikita’s Gift male offspring

18 Likes

Now you have to name it!!!

I found some normal looking seeds in 1 Prok fruit. All the other dozen or so fruit I’ve eaten have had malformed seeds. I wonder if there’s a chance these will grow into hybrid trees, since the only males I’m aware of nearby are kaki.

6 Likes

That is great new because Prok had to crossed with some male to have seeds. Just put them in the ziplock bag in the refrigerator to stratified then plant them out in May. I hope you have some good ones. I got 6 offsprings of Prok crossed with Jerry’s Lehman Nikita’s Gift male offspring.

4 Likes

See them little speckles all over the fruit at Tony’s pic? That’s the H-118. ( I think : ) :thinking: ( Tony!

1 Like

Good luck. My NG is in the 3rd leaf, and still has not fruited in container. I am wondering if it will only produce in ground.

1 Like

3rd leaf is still young. Your tree start flowering next year. Whether or not it will hold on to fruit is another story,

2 Likes

This guy who has been kind enough to show me a few of his seed collecting places said to me:

‘when growing hardwoods, if they flower male the first time and second time (second year) - there’s always a chance they’ll flip to female the third…’

He said, ‘I wish somebody would’ve told me that, a long time ago…’ he has his PHD in Biology and Plants. That’s something they never taught him. We were discussing persimmons…

he said, don’t rule them out as male plants until after year three. he said with a laugh, ‘persimmons are supposed to be 75% male(s)… from seed.’ He proceeded saying, ‘I very much doubt that’.

He’s got a little pick-up truck and runs his own little nursery of some sort. He collects seeds and grows plants and ships them from Facebook sales. He’s one of many people turning a wee bit older and has never changed what he did during his life. This is all he’s ever done. He wanted me know to pass along that information.

12 Likes

This is new to me but I will keep it in the back of my mind. So just say if I used the male flower to cross other persimmons and get some new varieties. Then in the 3rd year it reverted to a female then I may lose a potential good male variety. That could be a bummer.

1 Like

I asked him about that and he said the persimmons that are true females will be full female flowering while the males that revert to female carry some male flowers still - most of the time.

4 Likes

@Mikatani how is Pamjat Pasenkova flavor? Does it make the nod from you in comparison to Nikitskaya Bordovaya? It’s 2-weeks earlier than NG. (Nikitskaya Bordovaya = Nikita’s Gift)

(Thank you for posting this below photo Dithmur)
Persimmon cultivars Dithmur Belgium

Will it be recommended for The Pacific Northwest USA where Nikitskaya Bordovaya harvests very well and H-118 seems to be the best American that can mature its fruit, Pamjat Pasenkova…?

I appreciate sincerely your opinion.

Dax

5 Likes

To be honest…I can’t see much difference between the two. Fruit looks identical and so does the tree and leaves.Here they ripen at the same time. I have another hybrid (also Rosseyanka offspring) which also looks identical. About early ripening American: So far, the earliest ripening persimmon is Geneva Red. It has ripened and dropped all of its fruit already while the other early ones like Early Jewel, Pieper, etc. have just started. Nobody ever seems to mention this “old” variety but as it turns out it is still the earliest of all and has a really good flavor.

6 Likes

There must be (2) Geneva Red in circulation. This is good to hear because in Europe you guys seem to have an edible and non-astringent scions of Geneva Red.

I visited Jerry Lehman in 2017 and he brought us to a Geneva Red tree in his orchard, said to us, ‘it’s beautiful but it’s astringent-always.’ Jerry called it an ’ “ornamental” '. I ate some anyways and it was astringent to the point of filling my mouth with cardboard. Fruits were scarlet red and ripe and soft.

Appreciate your input!
I either read or was told Pamjat Pasenkova is 2-weeks before Nikitskaya Bordovaya. That’s kind of a bummer. Two weeks earlier is a pretty huge deal. I’m glad you straightened that out. tu, Dithmur.

3 Likes

I see one that says Geneva Long. And another —Geneva Red. I assume these are different?

1 Like

Yes. They are different varieties. Virginia long has a longer fruit.

2 Likes

Geneva Long

Geneva Red

Geneva Red

@Mikatani how does your Geneva Red, differ?

Thanks

7 Likes

Cherniaev memory hybrid persimmon in my garden

11 Likes

In our climate NG is reliable and doesn’t drop more fruit than other varieties.

I made a horrible mistake of heavily watering my in ground trees and they all dropped a lot of fruit. Not just NG but other varieties too! Another local grower confirmed my suspicions. He heavily watered his trees and they dropped a bunch of fruit.

In the PNW best to very lightly water them or not water at all in summer.

7 Likes

Yeah, I have been learning how to keep a slight moisture deficit. I have found that it is best for my apples to get as much water as they like all through July. I start cutting the water back in August. On my stone fruits, I keep them a little thirsty after I know the pit has formed. I am lucky that I have low humidity and a lot of sun in most years. There is rarely rain during the Summer. For me, it is about learning the phases of growth for the fruit, and depriving water at the correct time. You have to find that thirsty sweet spot. A second leaf Reine Claude Verte yielded two plums in container this year. They tested 23.3 and 23.5 Brix. My Opal plums took serious heat damage this year. We had 13 days of 90+ weather this year. I lost more than a few apples to squirrels, earwigs, and sunburn. I am hoping for good Brix numbers on the ones that remain.

1 Like