Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Did your Kasandra hold any of its fruit, Tippy?

Unfortunately, no. Neither did Nikita’s Gift.

I have new persimmon fruiting. When the fruit were young I thought they were Prok. Now fruit are bigger and more square than round so definitely not Prok. Not sure what variety I grafted on the same tree as Prok.

They’re in ground. I figured I only wanted the hardy ones to survive. It is a surprising ratio. Every other year, it was more like 70% male, 30% female.

2 Likes

If there is no more fruit loss, I should be able to try Kasandra, JT02 and Nikita’s gift side by side this year.

4 Likes

This question wasn’t directed to me but you might be interested in the situation here. At the risk of repeating myself, I have a Kassandra planted in 2017. This is the 1st year with a crop. There has been no observable fruit drop in 2 months, except a pair of green fruits on the ground today. Here’s a picture of the tree and a close up of a branch. Fingers crossed!

11 Likes

Wow! That’s some impressive fruiting. You must have hundreds on that tree. Seems like you’ve got some special climate for persimmon growing in New England. I remember you posting about your abundant Ichikikei Jiro crops too.

1 Like

Yeah, last year we picked a total of ~300 IKKJ fruits from 3 trees, so 100 each.

I think there must be at least 200 Kassandra fruits but maybe more.

3 Likes

That’s a very beautiful tree Joe!

Thanks. I live in mortal fear that some windstorm will knock it over (which happened to a plum) or split it in two (which happened to a mulberry). I tied it to the ground in 4 places, as you can see.

1 Like

Wow, that tree is huge. It has grown way more than my Nikita’s gift. Seems like a vigorous variety.

1 Like

@ramv – And I have to work a bit to keep it small. It’s not as crazy a grower as my American Prok, but it is very vigorous. Given the exposure to west winds, I make some heading cuts each year to keep the top reasonably low and I prune the interior a ton to open it up. Yes, I want sunshine to reach the interior but I mostly want wind to have a path between the branches.

7 Likes

Mikatani gosho New one to me, just got budwood, not much out there on the web

Mikatani gosho is an asian persimon that is selled by “De moerbeiboom” an belgian nursery.
The owner Dithmar Guillaume is famous here in Europe for his huge persimon collection but also for his breeding efforts.

Regarding him, Mikatani Gosho is currently one of the best overall persimon along with Nikitas Gift especially for colder climates.

He descripes Mikatani Gosho as follows: “quite early ripening, PVNA type, flat round shape, extremely long shelf life (till end of January), always very sweet”

I’ve been growing Mikatani Gosho myself for the past year. I will also buy Kasandra from “De moerbeiboom” this year and try his new promising breed “Sunrise”.

6 Likes

I’ve had branches split from the weight of the fruit on Prok and 100-46, but not Kasandra, which seems to set fruit more evenly throughout the tree than those other two. I wouldn’t worry about the tree falling over since persimmons are so well anchored, but, yeah, split branches can be a concern at this time of year.

6 Likes

Yes, my Prok split frequently, both from the wind and from the weight of fruit.

1 Like

Here are a few new Hybrid persimmons in my collection.

JBT-06 (JT-02 X Rossyanka male)

Super Rossyanka

Dr Kazas from Ukraine via Jerry Lehman.

Prok X Jerry’s Lehman Nikita’s Gift male offspring by Tony

@aap , @BobVance, @PharmerDrewee , @jrd51 , @Barkslip , @KYnuttrees , @SMC_zone6

Tony

12 Likes

Nice. I’m hoping to get my hands on a JBT-06 and a JT-02 this fall if I can find any for sale somewhere.

Looking real good, Tony.

1 Like

I’m in like a parachute jumper:

JBT-06

13 Likes

Looks great Dax. Hopefully it can handle the cold like JT-02 to -28F.

3 Likes

One of the potted Prok crossed with Jerry’s Lehman Nikita’s Gift offspring male just flowers with a late growth spurt and turned out to be a male. This is exciting for future crossed with this super hardy male with some Kaki bloodline.

10 Likes