Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

No need to apologize!

1 Like

I know the idea of ​​true rooted Diospyros isn’t very welcome here.
but I say it because it is maybe useful to someone.
With few buds you can make in vitro a plenty of clones which are on their own roots. That should be a benefit to the back freezing

I wouldn’t say it isn’t welcome, just that it’s an unusual task until someone figures out if any known varieties are ‘easy’ to root.

1 Like

with an in vito culture it would be “easy” and you could make many clones with their own roots of almost every plant

once they’re available, I’ll buy you one :smiley:

2 Likes

but i don’t need one, would be nice to have one.
it would be better to give it to someone further north :slight_smile:

Not sure what the benefit of an own rooted Diospyros is? Could you elaborate? Grafting is extremely easy, trees are healthy, vigorous and cold Hardy. And they bear quickly. Unlike TC which revert to juvenility and are unlikely to be tolerant of poor soils.

Hi,

I wanted to say it because of the freezing back and burying the graft for insurance of resprout
if they all had their own roots, this insurance would be more effective if the whole root was their own protected in warm earth…

I just wanted to say it might be valuable to someone. :woman_shrugging:

yes, grafting is much easier.
maybe someone has access to in-vitro propagation
then you could make many plants from little material and they would all have their own roots

1 Like

I got one in my basement currently. in-vitro lab. whatever the hell that is.

1 Like

Whaaaatt? I‘m jealous :grin: :laughing:

You can do many fun things with it…
But more important you can make many plants of little plant material

In general I prefer own rooted plants. However for Kaki I see no advantage to own rooting.

Kaki hates high salt soils, DV is more tolerant. Also Kaki rootstock is not as cold tolerant as DV. other rootstocks may have other benefits.

Similar to apples. It’s easy to get apples growing on own roots but no one does.

1 Like

I agree with you.

I posted it because of the emergency insurance thing, if it gets super cold to bury the graft for the hybrids to resprout, it was about the hybrids, not about kaki…

if burying the graft union protects it from freezing, whole root deeper would also survive and chances of resprout would be higher.

I would also prefer to graft kaki on virginiana for normal cold temperatures.
because of the benefits you mentioned.

1 Like

Just an example to clear thing up about burying the graft below ground level for insurance of resprout. Here is my 12 years old Li jujube from eat-it.com that I buried the grafted union a foot below ground level that got hit by the polar vortex of -31F 2 years ago and some how it managed to survive with the Orange Beauty jujube out of 14 jujube trees. I dug it up to transplant to my new acreage home and there were plenty of roots above the grafted union. I could have cut it off right below the new roots to get a instant 12 years old self rooted Li jujube just like Airlayering and let the few inches above the union to resprout to the original Li cultivar from eat-it.com. Crazy stuff.

Tony

12 Likes

You won’t get this type of postage with khakis.
And if that happened, that root system would be medicro.

I say this based on the trials in Ukraine in burying the point of grafting and the scientific trials on the cuttings of persimmons in Japan to make dwarfing rootstocks.

In Belgium the PCNA produce insufficient sugars due to the cold. And the ripening time is too long for PCNA types.
Is someone breeding with PCNA types to get more sweetnes and shorter seasons in cold climates?

There are some folks here who are just getting started on this kind of project.

1 Like

This could be a good one to cross with a PCNA type:
Mikatani Gosho:
A late flowering, but early maturing variety with round very flat almost saucer-shaped fruit with a typical dimple in the middle. Remarkable upward growth (columnar). Grows vigorously. Fruit must ripen inside. One of the best and most productive strains in Belgium climate.

3 Likes

I live in a low heat climate similar to Northern Europe. (PNW)
PCNA types have not accumulated enough sugars until they started getting pollinated this year. This year my Jiro consistently got over 20 brix
Hundreds of fruit on the tree.

But growing PCNA varieties to eat like apples will not usually work— there is always some trace astringency. Better to let it sit inside for a week and eat it like a PCA fruit.

Izu is the only variety that loses astringency here but it is not sweet enough usually and is a low vigor tree.

I’m adding Mikatani Gosho this spring.

3 Likes

My Izu, scions from Fruitwood, seem pretty vigorous grafted onto my unknown Kaki.

Have you tried Matsumoto Wase, and determined it too fails to lose astringency?

3 Likes