Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I haven’t tried Matsumoto Wase. Jiro has proven itself finally and it will be my only keeper PCNA variety.

1 Like

I’m still hoping for PCNA that is worth eating firm. That’s why your post got my attention, because its pretty sweeping.

If the PCNA aren’t great, hopefully they’ll at least tide me over until I get better production from an astringent kaki that I can treat, or process.

1 Like

I’ve heard from others growing persimmons locally that they’ve only rarely tasted a persimmon that was both nicely sweet and non astringent.
One of my neighbors had a mature Izu tree that was prolific and came close to being acceptably sweet. It was non astringent when I tried it. He since cut it down.

It might be more possible to achieve consistently in your hotter climate. Out here, maybe once every few years.

If you like crunchy persimmons, they are easy to buy in local Asian stores at a low price. Which also is why I am not so excited by them as they aren’t a great investment of scarce space. I would rather grow fruit that I cannot buy at any price locally.

4 Likes

I like that persimmons are low input, high quality fruit. The PCNA are more accessible to general public, easy to share, can hand it to somebody at work and not worry about them. Plus my Chinese friends seem to appreciate them.

If I only ate them soft, I may not bother. But you make some good points, and I am more excited about the PVNA and PCAs right now.

2 Likes

which is the best tasting PCNA persimmon?

I once had IZU but died over the winter.
and Hana Fuyu, it died after it sprouted with a severe late frost

1 Like

@Kaki-pistacia – Just curious – Does it matter which tastes best if it dies? Shouldn’t cold-hardiness be the priority?

3 Likes

good point. but there are more PCNA Jiro/chinebuli.
I really want to know if they are the same!?
Some say chinebuli should be hardier.
Or Tam Kam should be hardy

I would like to have one PCNA in the garden.
and if the trees were bigger, they could survive.
but yes the PCNA kakis are not the hardiest in my experience

You should talk to @Mikatani regarding what is best for your climate. Most will not lose astringency if you don’t have hot summers. It is entirely possible that no PCNA persimmons are really suitable in some climates.

1 Like

I have another question.
Are there more really 50/50 Kaki x virginiana than rosseyanka and Jt-02 ?
I can’t find any other

look for early ripening everything @Kaki-pistacia
the only one I can think of for you currently from my limited knowledge is Hybrid persimmon Dar Sofiyivky growingfruit.org

1 Like

I have a solution for you. Just grow the Izu in pot or any PCNA in pots and overwinter them in an unheated garage. I am in Z5 and the temp can dipped down to -31F once in a long while but I got 5 productive Tam Kam in pots. So there is a solution for you.

6 Likes

i wake up wondering what kind of bs I’ll hear today. you’re good at it.

Dax

Thanks Tony, I wanted to try next year again with Hana Fuyu but in pod anyway.

it should not be that sweet but has very large fruits and ripens early.

But did your Tam Kam survive in the pod at -31F in the garage?

Yes. They are all potted and 6 years old now.

Thanks I will try some kakis in the pod.
Do the tam kam‘s ripen enough in your climate?

Yes. I have a super hot summer.here in the Midwest. Starting in May to September the weather is in the 80s to 90s degrees.

ok that gives me hope.
in good summers it’s the same here

Yeah, I’m trying this approach with Cardinal (possibly aka Soshu). I might also try Chocolate and Coffee Cake in pots.

1 Like

Fwiw, I’m skeptical that Chinebuli is as hardy as reported only once. I’ve gotten totally nonastringent Ichi Ki Kei Jiro here in borderline Z6B/7A. The fruit is nonastringent even when firm, not fully ripe.

IKKJ is a bud sport of Jiro. Ramv’s enthusiasm about plain old Jiro should extend to IKKJ.

2 Likes

His enthusiasm is also recent, and with the caveat that they were pollinated, and I think he may regard them as better due to the seeds.