Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I know translation is tricky business, but ‘Charisma’ and ‘Want’??? And since it about nailed all of the others, and least in a phonetically recognizable way, I cant help but wonder what strange information seaway did it pull those red herrings from?

1 Like

I think Bozhy Dar means God’s Gift. It’s an interesting way for a language to describe charisma.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly.

1 Like

Just read the Ukrainian characters. “Want” is obvious Hachiya.

1 Like

Of course not. I was commenting about the non-correlation statement.

1 Like

From my Ukrainian friend:

Universal (12-5) persimmon

“Station Wagon” (12-5) . Hybrid persimmon variety, pollinator. Author - V.M. Wooden. A tree with a height of up to 3.3 m. Fruiting begins 3-4 years after planting. It has a much shorter growing season and is more winter-hardy than the ‘Rossiyanka’ variety. After the winter of 2005-06 (the temperature dropped to -27-28 C) unlike her, it bloomed normally and bore fruit.

The harvest from one tree reaches 30-35 kg. The weight of the fruits ranges from 15 to 40 g. The skin is thin. The flesh is red-orange, tender. The taste is harmonious, sugar dominates. The ripeness of the fruits comes in the 3rd decade of September - the 1st decade of October.

The variety forms two types of flowers: male and bisexual. The flowering time is long - about a month, which is enough for pollination of most varieties of oriental persimmons, virginian persimmons and their hybrids. The consumer ripeness of the fruits is extended, some of them soften while still on the trees. Seeds in fruits are rare. November comes at the end of October. The variety is suitable for use as a pollinator for oriental persimmon, virginian persimmon and their hybrids.

– so, no the rumor about Universal / Chuchupaka being the same is just that – hearsay. I’ll make a note of it. Thanks for asking, gives me incentive to chase down some leads on things.

5 Likes

Since I grow Universal for a number of years I fully agree with the above description. It starts heavy fruiting after about 6 years, fruits ripen earliest of all persimmon incl. american and hybrid and are very sweet. It is an excellent pollinator. I often wonder what is it made of…perhaps it would be worth considering it as a partner for breeding.

6 Likes

In the US we only have Rossyanka male and Jerry Lehman male hybrid persimmon 400-5, the parents were Rossyanka female X OP of male D.V which hardiness for me in Omaha at -33F during the last Polar Vortex. I hoped We can get this Universal pollinizer here in the US to add it to the gene pool for breeding purposes. @Harbin , @OckooMicrofarm .

Tony

4 Likes

I am told also that “Universal” is a less effective pollinator than some more recent efforts - ie. “Nakhoda” and “Gemini” – hermi hybrids which I will attempt to track down this winter.

There’s only a few options for hybrid pollen in the US, what do we have – Rosseyanka Male, Bozhy Dar, C5 (Nikita x Thor), 400-50, maybe Mt. Roman Kosh (mine set some male blooms at least)? We need some more options I think

4 Likes

breeding aside, thats reason enough to try and get it here, though if the harvest window is about accurate, its around a month later than ‘mohler’.

3 Likes

Pollen used to be sent internationally.
Is this no longer allowed? Would it be ruined by irradiation or some such?

2 Likes

I’m curious about the pollen question as well. I heard from someone attempting hybrid persimmon breeding that they got near zero seeds from hundreds of pollinations. (JT02 x kaki). In my tiny home orchard I got very seedy hybrid fruit without even explicitly hand pollinating.
Does irradiation destroy pollen?

2 Likes

Me too. This year, my Kasandra fruit had a lot of seeds; my JT-02 had some. As far as I know, the only male flowers were on a brand-new, just purchased PVNA – I forget which, Coffee Cake or Chocolate. The difference between Kasandra and JT-02 may be timing. As I recall, JT-02 bloomed before Kasandra or the new PVNAs.

I’ce got some named American varieties growing nearby, as well as many root suckers, so in theory the hybrids might have been pollinated by an American. However, none of the American fruit was seeded, so I infer that there were no American male flowers here.

3 Likes

If you are getting that many seeds, my guess would be it is Chocolate. While Coffee Cake can make some male flowers, Chocolate is a male flower making machine, sometimes having shoots that have nothing but male flowers. I think it is one of the reasons that it is often suggested as a pollinator to Coffee Cake, even though Coffee Cake can have enough male flowers to be self-fertile. I’ve found that Chocolate often puts out flowers on growth right after grafting, even on a small seedling rootstock, so it is probably worth considering for people just to graft a branch into another tree if they want to try pollinated fruit.

4 Likes

Pollen has a lifetime of several days unless stored in dry refrigeration or freezer. I’ve read temperatures used by researchers but have forgotten which publication.

The type and duration of irradiation used to scan luggage and shipments of generic goods is different from that used by the U.S. to treat inbound fruit. I suspect either would have a deleterious effect on pollen but have never encountered information on the subject. I believe it’s out there though. If it’s behind a paywall I can probably help.

6 Likes

The cultivar circulating as Chocolate in the U.S. is not the same genotype as the Chocolate known overseas. The latter does not produce male flowers.

2 Likes

I wish you can find out if it’s lethal radiation to living tissue at customs, USDA never gave me a credible answer. I knew several people with permits that quit getting seeds and bulbs overseas when radiation was announced. I still suspect my last shipment of French tree peonies was exposed, most never sprouted at springtime.

2 Likes

I bought it from JF&E, but they appear not to identify it as anything other than Chocolate. It apparently does produce male flowers, given my experience. In my notes I have “Chocolate” as the Japanese variety Tsurunoko. Is that not what is circulating in the U.S.?

2 Likes

They are different. Somewhere I posted about it recently.

1 Like

It varies by tissue type.