Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

I have permits and a certified quarantine for imports. What’s also needed is the plant material is sourced from a site with USDA certification. If not, it will be subject to standard customs scanning and inspection. In addition, some species will be rejected.

1 Like

From what I remember I had a yellow and green sticker, I went through the local USDA office that used to be here. Pivionies Riviere(sp), in Crest, France had phytosanitary permit. They would notify me to come pick my package when they received it from USDA inspection? back east.
Sherwood Aikin in Louisiana had bad luck on his last box of jujube seed from China.
I think Jim Waddick from KC stopped importing rare lycoris from a trusted nursery in China. All this happened about the time irradiation was announced.

Exactly. A phytosanitary certificate is not enough.

The reverse is also true, e.g. shipping to Canada or Europe.

2 Likes

Probably why the Lily Society stopped importing quantities of species lilies from China back then…:pensive:

1 Like

I’m not sure if it is what @Richard is referring to, but maru (California maru not Zenji I think) is sometimes called Chocolate in California and sometimes when people don’t know better or are maybe just being lazy about it any PVNA is generically called a “chocolate” persimmon just because of the darker flesh (sort of like all non-astringents being Fuyu in the marketplace).

I’m pretty sure the ones sold by nurseries are usually the one you have - what I think of as the real chocolate. I also have Zenji Maru which I will be interested to see what it does in terms of male flowers, but it is small and hasn’t bloomed yet.

2 Likes

Dave Wilson sells Maru separately from Chocolate.
This is why I believe they are different.

So far I believed (as did @jrd51 ) that chocolate was Tsurunoko.

2 Likes

The original Tsurunoko is documented as pistillate-constant with no stamens.

4 Likes

Here’s a link in Japanese that talks about it. 鶴の子柿 つるのこがき:旬の果物百科

It seems the one in Japan is smaller and not PVNA.

3 Likes

The rest of the world refers to it as “Chocolate” in their language.

1 Like

I guess “Crane Egg” isn’t as appealing of a food item.

2 Likes

Remember that bag of “Chocolate” persimmons from CA that was posted awhile back? I wonder …

1 Like

I don’t actually care whether Chocolate produces fruit. I bought it to pollinate my other PVNAs – Nishimurawase (potted) and Giboshi (planted in the ground). Also, I’m OK with seeded Kasandra and I’m curious to try more seeded JT-02.

I just have to keep it away from my PCNA Kakis – IKKJ, Taishu, Cardinal – and probably also my PCAs – Saiyo, Sheng and Miss Kim.

2 Likes

Just for clarity, which Chocolate is this? I assume the U.S. male-flowering one?

Does this variety have a Japanese name?

2 Likes

I’m confused. See p. 364. Here’s an old discussion of Tsurunoko from Japan with a picture of both female and male flowers.

1 Like

“this grafted Chocolate Persimmon sapling grown by Dave Wilson.”

The original Tsurunoko is documented as pistillate-constant with no stamens.

The discussion of Tsurunoko above is from 1915. How much more original can we get?

1 Like

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Tsurunoko+pistillate-constant&btnG=

https://calag.ucanr.edu/archive/?type=pdf&article=ca.v042n04p7

1 Like

@Richard – So isn’t this what lawyers would call hear-say? Your source in California reports that unnamed sources report that Tsurunoko is pistillate-constant. But there is no reference. There is no direct testimony. Seriously, is this what you consider “documented”???

Also, how could this be “the original Tsurunoko” in 1988 when Tsurunoko was discussed as bearing both male and female flowers by a Japanese author in 1915?

Yasui-StudiesDiospyrosKaki-1915.pdf (1.1 MB)

2 Likes

The link I posted describes a different persimmon than what we call Chocolate.

4 Likes

you’re welcome.

1 Like