Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

Hey,
I am in NC. I have been building my collection. This year will be Mikussu, cofee cake, chocolate. I am looking for sources for Sestronka. Most of my collection is hybrids and Americans.

2 Likes

Hey @RUenvsci ,
Had a couple questions for ya.
So Sestronka was largest one in your pic?
How was the taste? Hoping it has some american persimmon flavor as i have a small grafted plant. If not, which hybrids do you think have more interesting/rich flavors?

1 Like

Has anyone tried grafting american onto Nikitas Gift? Any issues?

1 Like

Taishu Asian persimmon fruits from a grower on FB. Nice clean looking fruits. Some of Us here on GF will heavily crossing it with hybrid male persimmon in due time.

Tony

9 Likes

Is this one youre growing? If so it must be hardy!

1 Like

Not for Z5. It must be potted. I grow all my Kakis in pots then cross them with hybrid male persimmon.

3 Likes

curious … so most of these persimmon trees are self-fruitful without a true male flower so hence why you need a male to pollinate the fruit so you can get seeds to grow out?
Are you picky about which male variety to use when doing crosses?
Will you use a general American persimmon male to make it possibly cold-hardy or a specific american (or asian) male variety for some reason for certain attributes?

1 Like

Jerry Lehman sent me a male hybrid persimmon a few years before he passed. It’s called 400-5 male Hybrid persimmon. It survived -33F here in my Z5 with the last Polar Vortex. I have been crossing it with at least 5 good American persimmon varieties and also crossing it with my Tam Kam nonastringent female Kaki. I sent out seeds for trial in Z4 and Z5 last year across the US. I got a row of 20 seedlings from that crossed They just exposed to -21F about 3 weeks ago. Just have to wait until Spring to see if they inherited the -33F cold hardiness from the male hybrid persimmon. They all should be 12.5% Kaki and 87.5% American persimmon D. Virginiana. Except for the Tam Kam because of more Kaki percentage I will do the same with my potted Taishu.

Tony

11 Likes

Tony, do you happen to know the cold hardiness of Zina Khurma and Dr Kazas? I think I read somewhere that they are more akin to the kaki in cold hardiness.

1 Like

Here is cold hardiness of hybrid persimmons in one of the post.

3 Likes

Thanks Tony!!

2 Likes

A self-fruitful (parthenocarpic) tree can produce fruit without pollination. A common fig is a great example. But it will not produce fertile seeds without pollination. So we need a male flower to produce viable seeds because without pollination there will be none.

2 Likes

Does this picker basket also cut the stem on persimmons? That’s the only way I can see it working on persimmons unless I’m missing something.

1 Like

The problem with the usual metal fruit baskets is that it digs even into the hard unripe fruit. This one pulls it off without digging in. Theres a “V” area at the very top that you can put the fruit (or 2 to 3 fruit) inside the V, then pull.

Here was my harvest, you can see most are very intact.

5 Likes

So i think maybe the stem goes the bottom part of the V as you pull and gets cut there. Would be nice if there was an embedded razor in the bottom section of the V. It would cut the stem easily without pulling as much (maybe, just an idea for improvement).

PS this won’t work for American persimmon as its too soft, just Asians (or maybe hybrids if you can pick them at the hard stage) and other things like apples/pears.

5 Likes

“Somewhere between 150 and 800.” That made me laugh. very abundant harvest!

1 Like

Haha yeh, i did count eventually and it was closer to 700-750 off the one Saiju tree. Not sure why last year was much less, i may have pruned it a bit.
I am slightly worried about its trunk (although hasnt seemed to affect the tree last few years) … Any idea of asian persimmon sheds bark like this or some disease that will end in death of the tree?:

Note: someone else seemed to have the same issue: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/1466112/peeling-bark

1 Like

The tree will die someday.

You almost scratched it with your fingernail. I would use a knife if it is too hard, see if there is green underneath. If green I say it is fine. if not green, go a bit deeper, still not green… something is wrong. sometimes i try to scratch edges of canker wounds when the tree is actively growing to get teh calous to grow large and try to reconnect the living bark… I’m guessing it is still alive under there and fine though.

sunburn? but should just be south side of the trunk. see what others say.

1 Like

all trees shed bark when they get enough girth to do so. how big is the trunk?

2 Likes

You have nothing to worry about…see how Japanese pressured wash away the dead barks. 1:45 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W4XRuE9fCv4&pp=ygUkSmFwYW5lc2UgcGVyc2ltbW9uIG9yY2hhcmQgd2F0ZXIgZ3Vu

5 Likes