Hybrid Persimmons Future Look Great

@hobilus , the trunk is bout 7.5" in diameter

@Shuimitao hmmm that bark spray video is interesting. Maybe my tree is fine, I thought it was maybe a goner a couple years ago … But seems like its fine and growing strong. Maybe I just need to pressure-wash my trees haha.

@DroppingFruit, I’ll check under the bark soon.

1 Like

Some woody plants shed bark a lot. I dont know kaki well, but I could see 7 1/2” diameter being big enough on an orchard sized tree for that sort of thing. I remember the first time I touched the trunk of one of my hardy kiwis and all of the bark fell off leaving nothing but a smooth white surface. For a fleeting moment I was worried. Now it does it some nearly every year.

3 Likes

Whats the reason for hybrids being so exciting? Larger fruit size?

Hybrids combine traits such as cold tolerance, large size, better flavor, and astringency traits.

3 Likes

For the Ukrainians who pioneered hybridization (producing Rosseyanka and its descendants), the main goal was cold-hardiness. That’s the main source of excitement for northern growers in the U.S. – improved Kaki-like fruit in a cold-hardy package. Kassandra (Great Wall x F2 Rossey Male) is a great example – some Kaki taste but also cold hardy. I don’t believe the Ukrainians ever used a non-astringent Kaki parent.

For the American breeder who had the other notable success (producing JT-02 aka Mikkusu), it seems that there was some hope for non-astringency since the Kaki parent is a PCNA variety, Taishu. If that was the goal, it could never have happened given what we now think we know about the genetics. But hope lives! My own excitement relates to the possibility of crossing JT-02 x any male-flowering PCNA Kaki to produce a non-astringent hybrid. Just by chance, JT-02 has turned out to be very cold-hardy so there is a good prospect that a JT-02 descendant can be both non-astringent and cold-hardy.

Once the Ukrainians produced a hybrid that was cold-hardy, they were free to focus on producing further crosses that enhanced other qualities such as flavor, fruit quality, etc. They don’t seem to be in a rush for non-astringency.

Some Americans working with JT-02 are making some crosses with astringent Kaki and Virginiana varieties possibly hoping for a non-astringent result, but again given the genetics it seems very unlikely. The road to a non-astringent hybrid seems to require a cross of JT-02 x a PCNA Kaki make.

There are claims that other breeders have produced other inter-specific DV x Kaki hybrids but those claims seem very dubious.

4 Likes

I planted a Nishimura wase crossed with the cold cold hardy Kaki male Cheong Pyong seed. It probably will turn out to be a Astringent Kaki but more cold hardy than the parent Nishimura wase.

Tony

7 Likes

if my understanding of PVNA genetics is correct, the offspring has a 20% chance of PVNA, 60% chance of PVA, 20% chance of PVA. Of course, the offspring may or may not inherit Cheong Pong cold hardiness – that seems 50-50.

Maybe you should do enough crosses so that you’re almost guaranteed to have one offspring that is both PVNA and cold-hardy. Twenty would probably do it.

1 Like

I do have more seeds but I am more interested in crossing Hybrid persimmons so I can get to -31F for Z4 and Z5A. I may send them out to people in warmer zone to grow them out.

Tony

5 Likes

Ah, I get it. This post was just advertising. :slight_smile:

2 Likes