Late frost resistant kaki

I’ve got my eye in this cultivar after suffering repeated frost damage on my Nikita x Taishu even though it’s in a polytunnel. This nursery seems to be one of the most knowledgeable about persimmons in europe. He breeds and devlops his own persimmon and mulberry cultivars.

“checking for damage on kaki trees after the latest spring frost. This had impact all over Europe. Although I hate the damage it does, it shows what type of kaki do better under these apprently recurring spring frosts. It means we can select and develop more suitable varieties. I these pictures you can clearly see how one varieties is completely roasted by spring frost while another is left undamaged. A new variety calles “Sunrise” which I will be releasing this autumn is very resistant and even the buds that were down at ground level didn’t suffer any damage.”

“This is Nishijo offspring. The fruit looks a bit like “Triumph” (slightly squarish and 4 lobed). It is very early ripening and has high sugar content.”

“a Diospyros kaki…not a hybrid, just pure kaki.”

https://www.facebook.com/De-Moerbeiboom-2114782185413388/videos/new-spring-frost-resistant-kaki-variety-sunrise-no-damage-at-all-after-latest-sp/3194722797471267/

https://www.facebook.com/De-Moerbeiboom-2114782185413388/videos/checking-for-damage-on-kaki-trees-after-the-latest-spring-frost-this-had-impact-/697078438082313/

I’ll try to order it this September.

3 Likes

I did order this that September (22) and it will be 2nd leaf this year. I’ll add some correspondence with the breeder here updating his opinion.

Me: “Hi Dithmar, I was curious how your selection Sunrise Persimmon has been performing for you? Mine is still alive and in a 60L pot. Last year it was slow to grow, and this year buds are just swelling now and it should do more. Do you still think it’s a promising selection?”

Breeder: “Last summer it performed extremely well. It was loaded with fruit and more important: it had one of the highest brix values of all. It was also among the first to ripen. Another client who lives at 1100m in the alps (short season) is also very positive. So I’m confident it should do well in Ireland.”

Sounds very promising to me! Surprising a straight kaki could be such a good candidate here.

2 Likes

Hi Casper
I am in Kilkenny, Definitely interested on your updates for this cultivar going forward.
I reckon I have about 23 cultivars which are American,Khaki and Hybrids.
Regards Anthony

2 Likes

Amazing! I’m also very interested in your results. Do you have a thread or any info to share so far? Anything fruiting yet?

I have Sunrise and Rosseyanka in 60L outdoor pots and Nikshoo (Nikita x Taishuu) a couple of years older in ground in a tunnel. No flowers yet, but maybe this year for Nikshoo?

1 Like

Unfortunately all my plants are still very young.
Most are outdoors in an open field.I have Izu in the Polytunnel as it’s supposed to be dwarfing.
I have Myria(Amazing winter colors )in a pot under a pergola.

Some had there buds frozen late April last year but then grew new buds.Some we’re still awake for early winter frost and took a little damage

I suspect if things went well I could have fruit in 2 years.

The Americans are later waking so may be better for late frosts here.

I will be grafting 10-15 varieties this year on to both Lotus and Virginiana rootstock.

I am keeping notes here of everything so hopefully in a few years I will have something conclusive about what will grow well here and what won’t.

2 Likes

Amazing work, keep us updated :relaxed:

How did you get the D Lotus and DV rootstock? I was thinking of buying D Kaki fruits in the Asian grocery just to make seedlings to graft on to :yum:

1 Like

D.Lotus and DV rootstocks are readily available in the US from nurseries. Less common than apples, but not hard to find. There’s a compatibility issue with some Kaki → Kaki grafts. Fuyu on Izu maybe? They stopped doing it in California for some reason like 100 years ago.

1 Like

We’re both in Ireland, I was asking about sourcing them here which is trickier.

2 Likes

It’s harder to get D.V seeds I found them on eBay one year and haven’t since.but D.Lotus are easy enough to get on eBay or Etsy.

I am also trying to grow Pawpaw.

I started this page and put most stuff up there.

2 Likes

Wow you’ve made a really great community there. Congratulations, it’s popping off! I’ll start to contribute there too.

Wonder if anyone there knows how to source sweet chestnut with good nuts in our conditions, the bigger the tree the better.

I’ve a big 6m Marigoule that fruits last few years but they never fill out. Not sure if it’s pollination or cool summers. Easiest way to rule out pollination is get or graft another.

Edit: Right after posting this I saw your post about a large fruiting tree near you. Is it far from you, any chance you could share scions?

1 Like

They def need pollinator
I have Belle Epine and Maravel but still young.Their parents were imported and died in a cold -6 but luckily I had grafted a few on to local seedlings who are doing just fine.
Def worth asking though I know some who have other cultivars on there.

2 Likes

That tree is a wild tree.I have seedlings from it.If you like me to send you some Scion no problem but they are wild not varieties.

2 Likes

I was half thinking wild and naturalised might do better here. It’s kind of already proven itself.

Marigoule is supposed to be self fertile, it forms fruit every year but the nuts are slivers inside.

I’ve tried to get large mature potted sent from EU nurseries but it only worked once with the marigoule, they always cancel the order last few years.

It would be good timing to try grafting scions if it wouldn’t put you out. I’ve got some interesting stuff here like Malus Sieversii still dormant.

1 Like

I’ll have a look today I know buds are already swelling.Ill send you pic later.

2 Likes